Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Adobe Premiere Pro for Apple first

Started by Drew ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Adobe Premiere Pro for Apple first

16 posts
  1. For the first time in a long time in its history, Adobe plans to release Premiere Pro, their non-linear editing suite, for the Apple Mac before the Windows version. This move heralds the return of Premiere Pro to the mac platform after a 3 year hiatus where it lost serious foothold in the mac editing market to Final Cut Pro, Apple's own NLE suite before quitting the market altogether.

    Now with the new intel chip powered macs, development wasn't as difficult as having to create a clean PPC OSX build from scratch. With the release of Premiere Pro, Adobe now has the complete Production Studio Suite(After Effects Professional, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Soundbooth, Encore DVD, and Illustrator) to compete against Apple's own Final Cut Studio Suite (Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro, Livetype, DVD Studio Pro).

     

    Details of features forthcoming.

  2. Now with the new intel chip powered macs, development wasn't as difficult as having to create a clean PPC OSX build from scratch. With the release of Premiere Pro, Adobe now has the complete Production Studio Suite(After Effects Professional, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Soundbooth, Encore DVD, and Illustrator) to compete against Apple's own Final Cut Studio Suite (Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro, Livetype, DVD Studio Pro).

     

    Details of features forthcoming.

     

     

    Will be interesting to see what upgrade paths they will offer to get people who use the Final Cut Suite to come back to try the other applications (Encore, Soundbooth or Premiere).

  3. While I have never been an Adobe Premier user, even though it could be used on a Mac, I would really see no point in it. Is there anything that Premier does that surpasses Final Cut? Is the workflow faster or smoother, is it a more stable app, is there as many 3rd party resources for it? One thing of many I can say for Final Cut is that it has always been rock steady for me ever since version 1 when I first got into this whole thing. It has grown as an application, there are an abundance of supplimentary learning DVDS, tools, plug ins and books to greatly simplify the learning curve. Pro just seems to me to be a fairly stagnant application, though it is high up on the quality scale. Maybe I should take a look at it just to become more familar with its strengths and weaknesses.

    Steve B)

  4. While I have never been an Adobe Premier user, even though it could be used on a Mac, I would really see no point in it. Is there anything that Premier does that surpasses Final Cut? Is the workflow faster or smoother, is it a more stable app, is there as many 3rd party resources for it? One thing of many I can say for Final Cut is that it has always been rock steady for me ever since version 1 when I first got into this whole thing. It has grown as an application, there are an abundance of supplimentary learning DVDS, tools, plug ins and books to greatly simplify the learning curve. Pro just seems to me to be a fairly stagnant application, though it is high up on the quality scale. Maybe I should take a look at it just to become more familar with its strengths and weaknesses.

    Steve B)

     

     

    Unless there is something that is a real "got to have" or "got to try" [or a price to make it worthwhile to try] none of the apps make me go wow quite yet, will be interesting what are in the final releases. When Adobe bailed out on the Macs they lost the market and will take some effort to get back in. I had the older versions of Premiere on Mac and PC and early versions of FCP also. I used both - there were some things I liked in Premiere, maybe just because I started there first, but I do not find myself missing those things, and probably forgot what I liked by this point anyway :lol:

     

    Off the top of my head, there was a Channel Mixer in Premiere which I would like to have (AE has one also). FCP does not quite have the same thing, though there is a good plug-in for channel mixing (and which I like better than the AE one), needs rendering though.

  5. The newest version of FCP does have a mixer. Can't say I use it much tho.

    Steve B)

  6. My quick response is not that excited. After bogging down in Premiere Pro and being disspointed with its lack of good plugins and quality export options, I switched to Final Cut Pro. My personal experience is that FCP is a tighter, better integrated, more powerful and better supported app. I have been very dissapointed with Adobe view on customer support and lack of commitment to upgrade paths...especially on the Mac. I would be cautious to dive back into the Mac version just to have them decide to drop it again. Also, how long have we been waiting for the Universal verions of Photoshop...1 year and counting.

     

    All this being said, Premiere Pro is a decent app and if you are on a PC well worth using (of course you should use Edius if you have the coin though). On Mac, i don't see any compelling reasons to go with it.

     

    -my 2 cents

  7. The newest version of FCP does have a mixer. Can't say I use it much tho.

    Steve B)

     

     

    Had not seen that, maybe in the FCP 5.1.2 version? I had downloaded that update on one of my machines and had not really played with it, just saw a couple of new filters that looked like fun (some effects).

     

    Will take a look at it again.

  8. Well you guys sound like Premiere Pro users when FCP 1.0 came out. :lol:

    Anyone who uses AE can tell you integration is important and try as FCP does, it's not as integrated with AE as PP is and that's one of their biggest selling points.

    Hopefully Gothamboy (Danielsan) will jump in here if he's browsing through. He knows better than anyone outside the Adobe development team about this.

    Edited by Drew
  9. Anyone who uses AE can tell you integration is important and try as FCP does, it's not as integrated with AE as PP is and that's one of their biggest selling points.

     

     

    True, but between Shake (even if it is not going to be revised anymore) and Motion alot of ground can be covered, not that I willing to part my After Effects :) Of course this means that Adobe will release the UB of AE so it can only be run in Premiere on the Mac and not a standlone application :lol: And since I am a software junkie, I will probably buy it anyway.

     

    But in general it is good they are focusing on the Mac again, may help clear up some other issues that have cropped up between the newer OSes, Quciktime, etc. And if it makes Apple work harder to keep pace or improve, that works for me.

  10. Have you Mac guys got a right click on ya mouse yet?

  11. Have you Mac guys got a right click on ya mouse yet?

     

     

    No, I tried to make my own, but the critter kept on running under the couch before I could paste it on and I ran out of cheese to bribe him to come out

  12. When using a multi-button mouse, right-click has been around since Mac OS X 10.0 (in 2001).

     

    Have you Mac guys got a right click on ya mouse yet?
  13. For me the biggest turn-off about Premiere Pro was the way transitions work in the timeline. They just seemed so complicated and unintuitive to achieve. In contrast in Vegas I just overlap 2 clips by dragging them on the timeline and I get a cross-dissolve (if the setting is on), which is great for someone doing loads of editing for dailies and who just wants straight cuts and cross-dissolves. Can FCP do this?

  14. For me the biggest turn-off about Premiere Pro was the way transitions work in the timeline. They just seemed so complicated and unintuitive to achieve. In contrast in Vegas I just overlap 2 clips by dragging them on the timeline and I get a cross-dissolve (if the setting is on), which is great for someone doing loads of editing for dailies and who just wants straight cuts and cross-dissolves. Can FCP do this?

     

     

    Yup (there may be a few ways to do this, I usually do what is described below)

     

    Just drag onto insert with transition (what happens is there is a viewer and one way to put clips into a timline is just drag there and you can insert, insert with transtion, overwrite, fit to fill and other things, this is the way I usually edit, it is placed in the timeline at the end of the last clip)

  15. So can you go right click, cut, copy and past with that MAC mouse?

     

    I'm am abit surprised that you don't get great rendering out of files from Prem Pro as well.

    I can confirm AE7 works with Canopus HQ and DV no probs. Rendering out the edits made in AE and into EDIUS.

     

    Will have a go with FCP one day as long as it has a right and left click mouse with scroll wheel attached to the MAC. :) I'm keyboard lazy....

  16. So can you go right click, cut, copy and past with that MAC mouse?

     

    I'm am abit surprised that you don't get great rendering out of files from Prem Pro as well.

    I can confirm AE7 works with Canopus HQ and DV no probs. Rendering out the edits made in AE and into EDIUS.

     

    Will have a go with FCP one day as long as it has a right and left click mouse with scroll wheel attached to the MAC. :) I'm keyboard lazy....

     

    Wagsy, first off want to apologize - I thought you were making the standard old Mac joke about not having a "proper" mouse - (which is actually a compliment since you are funny and with Premiere Pro coming back to Mac etc. - so if I am ever your way :) on me :)

     

    As mentioned, the Mac supports multi buttons (in fact for Shake they recommend a three button mouse)

     

    For one of my machines I have a Kensington roller ball with four areas to click and 6 instant launch buttons. They can assigned in anyway, so to top right be copy or paste or whatever. And as you are keyboard lazy, I find myself keboard centric - second nature for the key use for things succh as copy, paste, find.

     

    Again sorry -

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.