Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need For More Light With Oly 5050?

Started by Peter Schulz ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Need For More Light With Oly 5050?

7 posts
  1. It seems that I need to use lower f stop values with my 5050 than I did with my 3040 when shooting in manual mode with wide anggle and a strobe.

     

    With my 3040 at 60 feet, the sweat spot I evolved to was f:4 at 1/400 sec. This worked great with manual power sttings on my DS 125 of 1/2 when shooting in the open and 1/4 when shooting under reefs.

     

    With my 5050, the same settings result in darker pictures. To get the same effect as I was getting before I have tried dropping down to f:3.2. This seems to be going in the right direction.

     

    Is there any technical reason this should be the case? Or am I just imagining things?

  2. Are they both set at the same ISO speed?

     

    ISO has set standards for "exposure speed" ratings. That means that two cameras at ISO100 should get the same exposure at say f4 and 1/60th.

     

    If the two cameras are different, it means the the ISO sensitivity might be slightly different between the two.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I set both to ISO 100 although I understand from other threads that ISO ratings may be suspect i.e. ISO 64 was added to the 5050 to provide an equivalent low noise level rating to the ISO of 100 in the 4040.

     

    BTW the first time I used the 5050 I used it at ISO 64 which is the manual setting default. Experiencing darker than normal pictures and looking for a new sweat spot I went to ISO 100 for the last two days of diving though I can't say it helped or hurt.

  4. There really isnt a need to shoot so fast underwater. Cut your shutter speed down and pick up a few f stops that way. Since the water dampens your movement more than air your should be able to shoot at slower shutter speeds than you can above water. Personally my sweat spot as you say is f8 at 1/60. More depth of field and all the light you need.

     

    Nemo

  5. I think you are right. I just found a place that worked and stopped learning.

     

    Weather permitting I'll try higher f stops and slower speeds this Wenesday.

     

    My only concern is the speed of the fish --- the water doesn't damp them much. But maybe the strobe can stop them.

     

    In any event I'll post my lessons learned.

  6. I usually shoot at 1/125th a sec. For fast moving subjects such as sea lions I shoot at 1/250th a sec. I will go down to 1/60th for close ups and macro.

  7. I usually shoot at 1/125th a sec. For fast moving subjects such as sea lions I shoot at 1/250th a sec. I will go down to 1/60th for close ups and macro

     

    Ditto... I find these settings work quite well too

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.