Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Canon 20D & C-20 Subal OR 5D & Subal ??

Started by iainwilliams ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 20D & C-20 Subal OR 5D & Subal ??

6 posts
  1. Hello!

     

    For two and a bit years I've been using a canon 20D and Subal C-20 housing. I use a 5D and 1DMK2N for surface work. I've been happy with the 20D and C-20 Subal combination in association with the Canon 100mm/2.8 USM macro lens and Sigma 50mm macro lens. I mainly shoot macro.

     

    I just noticed that they now have a Subal housing for the 5D.

     

    I'm in a dlilemma and would like some thuoghts from others who know more than I do on the subject.

     

    Is there much benifit to upgrading my underwater camera from the 20D to the 5D?? ???

     

    The file size is larger and the images processed from the 5D are superior in my opinion to the 20D. The lens on the 5D will also function as full frame lenses rather than having a 1.6 crop as they do with the 20D. I have NO experience in using the 5D underwater.

     

    Any thoughts on the issue?? I'd appreciate any comments - especially with a view to using full frame sensor underwater with lenses that do not have the 1.6 crop.

     

    Should I trade up? ???

     

    Many thanks.....IAIN

  2. Hi Ian,

     

    My wife and I used a Subal 5D housing from Reef Photo and Video and liked it a lot. It handles and performs just like the 20D housing with the benefit of a slightly better viewfinder view.

     

    Some benefits that I can think of are 15mm fisheye use as a true FF fisheye, better image quality especially at ISO400 and up. Bigger rear LCD helps a lot.

     

    Whether it's worth the upgrade is really up to you though.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. James which housing did you end up settling on for your 5D ?

  4. Hi Peter,

     

    It wasn't really a choice for me because I had the Seacam S-180 and ports already.

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. The 5D is definately a worth while upgrade from a 20D.

     

    But there is a decent chance that the 5D will be replaced next month. Inless you have a trip coming up in the next month or two, I would wait and see what happens in March.

  6. I have and use both the 20D and 5D in Subal housings underwater. When doing liveaboard diving I have the 5D set up for wide angle and the 20D for macro. I really haven't seen much difference in results with the two setups as far as macro is concerned so if that is what you mainly shoot I wouldn't say it would be a huge benefit to upgrade to the 5D. For wide angle, however, I find the 5D way better ( true lens perspectives, less noise, less blown highlights etc). The 5D housing is also a bit better ergonomically and of course you have a larger screen to review your results. Your call :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.