Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Essay: Using Adobe Camera Raw Software

Started by james ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Essay: Using Adobe Camera Raw Software

7 posts
  1. Uwe Steinmueller of Outbackphoto.com has written up a short essay about the new Adobe Camera Raw (CR) software. Here is a link:

     

    http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_04/essay.html

     

    I downloaded and installed the CR and then went through a couple of my RAW format shots using Uwe's tutorial.

     

    I love it!!!!!!! This is the best RAW converter I have ever used! Some things I like:

     

    Large Preview shows what happens as you change exposure, white balance, etc

    At the same time, it shows the way the histograms change!

    Graphical user interface is very easy to use.

     

    I'm sure Eric is having a blast playing with it out on the Shearwater now. I'm sure he'll have something to say when he gets back.

     

    Cheers

    James

  2. Eric, you used Adobe CR. What did you think?

     

    There are more WB controls but they don't seem as intuitive as CR. I don't consider hue and saturation to be WB, but I really like the control over magenta/green that CR gives. I sure wish they'd give their color temperatures in mireds rather than Kelvin. Kelvin is, in fact, useless. Mireds is more direct, more useful, and just as easy to display. It would take a programmer 5 minutes to add the ability to display both.

  3. Looks great...I'm sold! Is anyone using Nikon Capture 3? I'm curious how it compares.

  4. Eric, you used Adobe CR.  What did you think?

     

    There are more WB controls but they don't seem as intuitive as CR.  I don't consider hue and saturation to be WB, but I really like the control over magenta/green that CR gives.  I sure wish they'd give their color temperatures in mireds rather than Kelvin.  Kelvin is, in fact, useless.  Mireds is more direct, more useful, and just as easy to display.  It would take a programmer 5 minutes to add the ability to display both.

    I returned Adobe CR. It introduced a lot of color noise in the shadows.

     

    Even though white balancing in CR is really easy, the color noise just wasn't acceptable for my tastes.

  5. Being a programmer, how do you think it "introduces" color noise? Perhaps it fails to remove it.

  6. Right. That's possible. :) I'm not talking about the mechanics of RAW conversion. I'm talking about what happens when you compare it to all of the other converters out there -- including Canon's standard SDK.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.