Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

A wreck-étude

Started by Jules (Helioxfilm) ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

A wreck-étude

8 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    at the outset, I would ask one of our kind moderators to move some post from my "Light Squadron" topic to here, especially which are dealing with my wreck-étude.

     

    So, folks, I would appreciate if you could see my first short (10 min) wreck-étude about 8+1 famous shipwrecks of the Red Sea. (90 megabyte flash-video, see it with the excellent soundtrack of Solaris)

     

    The Ships of Darkness - A voyage with the dead

     

    And, thanks for commenting so far the film, particularly I would like to thank the observations of Mary Lynn Price, Drew and Wagsy, who had a luck /or a bad luck :) / to see it before I made it avalaible for the wider public and won the first price in the wreck-catagory in Moscow, at the Golden Dolphin Festival (www.mosfest.ru)

     

    Enjoy,

    Jules

  2. Hi,

     

    at the outset, I would ask one of our kind moderators to move some post from my "Light Squadron" topic to here, especially which are dealing with my wreck-étude.

     

    So, folks, I would appreciate if you could see my first short (10 min) wreck-étude about 8+1 famous shipwrecks of the Red Sea. (90 megabyte flash-video, see it with the excellent soundtrack of Solaris)

     

    The Ships of Darkness - A voyage with the dead

     

    And, thanks for commenting so far the film, particularly I would like to thank the observations of Mary Lynn Price, Drew and Wagsy, who had a luck /or a bad luck :) / to see it before I made it avalaible for the wider public and won the first price in the wreck-catagory in Moscow, at the Golden Dolphin Festival (www.mosfest.ru)

     

    Enjoy,

    Jules

     

    Jules,

     

    I love your movie! this is really special and i like the way you edit and combined it with the right music

     

    Bruno

  3. Thanks Bruno, I appreciate your words! :)

  4. Jules great work.

    The B&W gives a great effect

    What rate did you encode that out as 1500kbps?

    I think you said you used Shake a well.

     

    It inspires us all to go out and make something wonderfull.

    What did you win?

    Edited by wagsy
  5. Thanks, wagsy.

     

    I used Final Cut Pro, Livetype and Shake. The Thistlegorm gun shot can be found in my previous Shake topic (the original and the stabilized shots: Gun Shake-sample

     

    I attach a screenshot about the flash-video settings.

    Actually it is just 1000 kbit. The original Quicktime file is HDV, 2 gigs. Frame rate is 25 fps, PAL.

     

    encode.gif

     

    I got a big Golden Dolphin statue (and 500 bucks as well:-) for the 1st place in wreck-category.

     

    It was the VI. Golden Dolphin International Diving Festival in Moscow. DeanB's movie about one of the biggest wreck in Malta won the 3rd place, I hope he can also share with us his film, I enjoyed very much his documentary style movie, From Tragedy to Life. (www.mosfest.ru) Another Hungarian friend, Laszlo Elod won the 1st price in the still competition for his portfolio.

     

    Since my film was shot in HDV, I can offer this 10 mins for the doco (HD)DVD you are planning to release.

     

    Jules

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  6. If you drop the height from 450 and unclick (Keep Aspect Ratio), you might be able to render it out without any black bars. Then again it's a nice effect. Flash is great how it just plays on both systems easy.

     

    Yes I have Dean's DVD off it. Luv the blue water.

     

    That clip should go nice in the DVD, still have not spoken to Eric about it yet.

     

    Cool, $500 US, pays for some of your toys. We need to enter a competition one day too I suppose. :)

  7. Very nice film Jules.

     

    I was fortunate enough to se it on the big screen at Antibes.

     

    I simple love the way you combinate available light and artificial light, gives a dramatic effect.

     

    Keep up the good work, and let us see some more :)

  8. If you drop the height from 450 and unclick (Keep Aspect Ratio), you might be able to render it out without any black bars. Then again it's a nice effect. Flash is great how it just plays on both systems easy.

     

    Yes I have Dean's DVD off it. Luv the blue water.

     

    That clip should go nice in the DVD, still have not spoken to Eric about it yet.

     

    Cool, $500 US, pays for some of your toys. We need to enter a competition one day too I suppose. ;)

     

     

    There is a much easier method to remove the black bars: there is a crop possibility in the encoder. (crop window). However, I prefer these black bars, because the contrast between the 100% black and e.g. the blue water (or any color) makes the color much vivid. Quite simple trick, but helps. If I would sure that the audience will see the film in a dark room I would not needed the bars.

     

    Yes, if you want to win a big amount of money you should consider to attend the following San Disk Red Sea competition in Eilat (november, 2007), because in the video-clip category the first price is 7500 USD! :)

     

    It seems I can not be there so you have chance to win :):o:):(

     

    Very nice film Jules.

     

    I was fortunate enough to se it on the big screen at Antibes.

     

    I simple love the way you combinate available light and artificial light, gives a dramatic effect.

     

    Keep up the good work, and let us see some more :)

     

     

    Thanks Hans,

     

    as I see you have now enough job with your car in Denmark. Actually we had 15 degrees above 0 yesterday in Geneva... I do not have any chance to dive under ice :excl:

    Edited by wagsy
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.