Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Lens Technical Data

Started by carl_goodier ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Lens Technical Data

11 posts
  1. Can anyone please tell me where I can get detail lens technical data. I bought the Nikkor 60mm recently, and already have the 105mm ( both micro ) and wanted to compare them. I had to key the depth of field data from the booklet into my laptop to compare depth of feild at different ratio's ( 1:1, 1:1.2 etc ).

     

    Have found some MTF data at photododo ( but the 105 has no MTF data yet ) .

     

    Thanks

     

    Carl

  2. Obviously no one knows, cares, or understands.............

     

    Found some already......

     

    Thanks !

  3. Obviously no one knows, cares, or understands.............

     

    You are right. We are all ignorant idiots.

     

    I am quite familiar with photodo. I understand MTF. As far as the middle one, you hit the nail on the head, I don't care. I don't rely on technical data to judge a lens.

  4. Carl I had read your topic and began doing some research. Coming up short, I consulted my owners manual on my 60mm and found some interesting information. I posted it under another topic. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?act=S...ikon+60mm+micro I guess I had assumed you would see it there.

     

    Bottom line is that the technical data seems to be in error.

  5. interesting fact,

     

    It takes 27 muscles to frown, and only 4 to raise your middle finger. So I wont waste effort with Scorpio_dog.

     

     

     

    Thanks Scotty, at least there are people with character out there. Nice pictures, and good point about the DOF with your example

  6. Would love to see scorpio_dog 's pictures. Waow, imagine, he does not know when a 60mm or a 105mm and at what F-stops would give the sharpest pics and also the depth of field characterisics etc etc.

     

    There are those of us out there who are interested in how a lens behaves, what its optimum points are, and when it is time to switch over.

  7. he does not know when a 60mm or a 105mm and at what F-stops would give the sharpest pics and also the depth of field characterisics etc etc.

     

    Carl, I'd have to say that I don't know that level of information about any of the lenses I own either. Does that somehow make me less of a photographer than you?

     

    I think scorpio's post was largely a response to your statement that "obviously nobody knows, cares, or understands". Based on the tone of that comment, why would anyone contribute to the post? Beyond that, technical data in and of itself is not the last judgment of anything, be it a lense, body, car, laptop, or other product. Data is just that, data, something to be used if you choose to, which you obviously do. I personally choose lenses based on the types of subjects I expect to find, not the technical data about the lense itself.

     

    Sorry if I offend, but as always, this is just my $0.02.

     

    Tom

  8. point taken, and appologies for mail.

     

    The lens data question was on the net for about a week without anyone helping ( again, no one is obliged). Since there was no reply, I think it is quite factual to say that no one really cares , or knows. ( then again, maybe I shouldn't say the truth :) )

     

    Obviously there are people out there who do care, and are willing to help people who are new to Nikons ( dumped my canon recently). I have an immense thirst to understand everything about the camera and lenses, and there is little technical info to be found anywhere ( thus me having to key in my own dof tables in excel)

  9. Despite: 1) Your derogatory response to not getting a repsonse on your initial question and 2) you direct name calling toward me, I will suggest some readings to help in your quest for technical knowledge.

     

    By the way, I do refer back to photodo now and then. However, I do not believe the MTF ratings on macro lenses to be of significant value because they are generated with the focus set at infinity.

     

    Yes, I know how to calculate DOF's. But I don't. Somewhere on the net is a online DOF calculator. You can even adjust your desired circle of confusion. I know how to calculate hyper focal distances, but I don't (I carry a handy laminated cue card that I bought).

     

    I previously referred you to Thom Hogan's "Nikon Flash Guide" for detailed information on how Nikon flashes work. You can also buy his Field Guide on your particular camera. How a camera controls flash varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and camera to camera.

     

    Technical information: "Basic Photographic Materials and Processes" by Leslie Stroebel.

     

    Macro photography: "Closeups in Nature" by John Shaw.

     

     

    Waow, imagine, he does not know when a 60mm or a 105mm and at what F-stops would give the sharpest pics and also the depth of field characterisics etc etc.

     

    Observing my own results from both these lenses are that f-stops of 8 or 11 produce the sharpest images. (I can't tell much difference between the two). As for DOF, I stop down as far as possible as long as I have enough light in order to maximize the DOF. I've found f16 does not provide enough DOF for most shots (either lens) and f22 and f32 to do the best job. You definitely lose edge sharpness due to diffraction at f22 and smaller, but I trade this off for greater DOF. This is a conclusion based on my judgement and not on math.

     

    When using either lens as a studio portrait lens, I open up to f4 or f5.6 to reduce the DOF and bracket the aperture.

     

     

    Would love to see scorpio_dog 's pictures.

     

    I don't post any here, because I only have a couple of digital keepers. Everything else is film. Here's a film one (it is licensed and was hanging in a booth at DEMA):

     

    fe12bf23.jpg

     

    Here's another:

     

    aaa.jpg

  10. Carl,

     

    Yes, the question was there for about a week, but sometimes, not everyone who *can* help is online every day, and when they *are* there, they don't always have time to contribute to every topic. I personally know zip about Nikon being a Canon owner, so while I would love to have helped, I had nothing to offer.

     

    then again, maybe I shouldn't say the truth

     

    The question isn't one of truth, but one of tone. As scorpio pointed out, it was quite derogatory. you'll find people are more likely to help you if you come across with a little less attitude.

     

    Tom

  11. Hi Carl,

     

    I don't think the tone of your post was conducive to good discussion and I am disappointed that you decided to take that approach to get some answers to your question.

     

    If you had simply asked again nicely, I'm sure that others would have pointed you to the information that has already been posted on Wetpixel in another thread. Or you could have found the information yourself by using the search feature.

     

    With that said, I hope that you consider Wetpixel a good place to come for help and I encourage you to keep posting here. If there is anything I can do personally to help you (I have shot the S2 with the 60mm lens) then please email me or post it here.

     

    Cheers

    James Wiseman

     

    PS, nice photos Scorpio!

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.