Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

New equipmetn- first dive session issues

Started by redtoys13 ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

New equipmetn- first dive session issues

13 posts
  1. Folks, just came back from my first session with the new equipment and some interesting issues. I upgraded from a small Sea and Sea film set up to a Nikon D70, Ikelitte housing and dome, Ikelite DS-50 flash and assorted bits. I used the Aperture mode for most of the shots and they turned out fine. However, I could not get the camera to focus (and therefore would not shoot) at any distance less than 6 ft. I tried the Automatic and macro modes and neither would fire. Any thoughts on the cause and directions to appropriate resources would be greatly appreciated.

  2. What lens?

  3. What lens? what port?

  4. What lens?

    I was using the stock kit lense, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G and a 6" dome port.

  5. This may sound obvious and is in no means meant to insult as it has probably happened to all of us ... was the lense in AF mode ? the switch on the lense ?

     

    and also was the camera in AF mode .. was the camera trying to focus ?

  6. Were you using the recommended diopter with the lens? That particular lens requires a +4 diopter.

     

    I have almost the same set up, I found that the 18-70 lens to be less than impressive in the water, always felt like I was fighting with it. Occationally I use it in the pool nowadays, but it doesn't make it into salt water anymore...

  7. Yeap... if you don`t have attached a +4 diopter, this lens would not focus behind a dome.

  8. This may sound obvious and is in no means meant to insult as it has probably happened to all of us ... was the lense in AF mode ? the switch on the lense ?

     

    and also was the camera in AF mode .. was the camera trying to focus ?

    No insult taken. I have to admit, after the second dive I thought of the same thing (AF switch) and felt pretty sheepish looking. It was in the correct mode though. As far as the camera trying to focus, I don't know. Underwater you don't hear anything and looking through the view finder is a challenge at best. The camera focuses better than I do looking through it most times.

     

    In response to the other comments of a +4 diopter. I did NOT have or know about this. What is it and are there other similar items that I should have known about?

     

     

    Were you using the recommended diopter with the lens? That particular lens requires a +4 diopter.

     

    I have almost the same set up, I found that the 18-70 lens to be less than impressive in the water, always felt like I was fighting with it. Occationally I use it in the pool nowadays, but it doesn't make it into salt water anymore...

     

    Joel,

     

    what lens are you using now and what were the big differences?

     

    Tim

  9. The guys are right. A diopter or close-up lens is needed. I've found that a +3D also works, and, that with the right dome, this lens is spectacularly sharp. I don't know which of the much-missed addled shopkeeper's domes is best, though, because I use a different brand...

     

    ... Nexus 12-24mm dome and +3D, Nikon 18-70mm zoom:

     

    wide: zoom:

     

    post-4522-1172698597_thumb.jpg post-4522-1172698677_thumb.jpg

     

    I'm sorry that they are such crummy images, but wide was shot at about 2', and zoom at about 10", so you get the point. Proper images later...

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  10. For the last year I've been diving Zoom-less.

    I've been using the Nikon 10.5 and 60mm underwater, but today I ordered a 12-24, but like a dork, I forgot to order a diopter for it.... So we'll see how it does in Bonaire later this month...

     

    I really had moments with the 18-70 where I couldn't focus it, it is NOT a fast lens. The 10.5 and the 60mm are both 2.8 glass, really quick on the focus and great DOF. I ordered the zoom specifically for a trip to Galapagos next year since I can't get the 18-55 into an Ikelite port...

    Edited by JoelD
  11. For the last year I've been diving Zoom-less.

    I've been using the Nikon 10.5 and 60mm underwater, but today I ordered a 12-24, but like a dork, I forgot to order a diopter for it.... So we'll see how it does in Bonaire later this month...

     

    I really had moments with the 18-70 where I couldn't focus it, it is NOT a fast lens. The 10.5 and the 60mm are both 2.8 glass, really quick on the focus and great DOF. I ordered the zoom specifically for a trip to Galapagos next year since I can't get the 18-55 into an Ikelite port...

     

    Joel,

     

    I have been using the 12-24 behind an 8" Aquatica dome port for over a year with no diopter. Am I missing something? I didn't think the 12-24 required one but will go back and check previous posts on this subject.

     

    Kory

  12. Joel,

     

    I have been using the 12-24 behind an 8" Aquatica dome port for over a year with no diopter. Am I missing something? I didn't think the 12-24 required one but will go back and check previous posts on this subject.

     

    Kory

     

    You're correct, it doesn't require one, Ikelite recommends a +2 for improved corner sharpness. Figured I'd try it both ways.....

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.