so i am looking into upgrading my hardware and am debating between a dell xps 710 and a macpro.
i want to try and play with video and edius is a high contender (i am playing with the trial version now) as NLE so my question is can i have my cake and eat it too, ie:
does anyone know if edius works/would work/should work in a parallels windows xp session on a mac pro?
thanks for the help :)/paul
Paul
Parallels can run it but it's not as fast as running it on Bootcamp. I tested it on some clips in BootCamp but only color correction and a few other filters. Works faster and less overhead on the OS. I suggest you also check out Final Cut Pro, esp the coming 6.0 with Sony P scan HDV support. Also wait a few more months, Octocore cometh:
Parallels can run it but it's not as fast as running it on Bootcamp. I tested it on some clips in BootCamp but only color correction and a few other filters. Works faster and less overhead on the OS. I suggest you also check out Final Cut Pro, esp the coming 6.0 with Sony P scan HDV support. Also wait a few more months, Octocore cometh:
Thanks for that. I am also looking at FCP, but wags speaks so highly of Edius that i have to give it a chance .
as for octocore well yes it would be great, talk about F1 performance
/paul
Well here is just another reason I like EDIUS Paul.
With just one single mouse click one can save a full res frame as a Photoshop PSD File about 4.5 megs in size, and you don't even have to deinterlace it. Then you can open it up in Photoshop and save as a max Jpeg and here is what you get. (Open it up in your graphics program and see it 1.1)
Paul Parallels is good for stuff like Office, internet (quite a few websites will not take Mac OS browsers and either the java or windows media just don't work on the Mac) and also windows only non-processor/ram intensive programs.
It's possible to run 3 systems on the macpro. Linux, Windows and Mac OSX.
I would choose not based on OS but the software you choose. Remember you have to buy 2 OS for the computer and all the other requisite programs for both platforms.
Well here is just another reason I like EDIUS Paul.
With just one single mouse click one can save a full res frame as a Photoshop PSD File about 4.5 megs in size, and you don't even have to deinterlace it. Then you can open it up in Photoshop and save as a max Jpeg and here is what you get. (Open it up in your graphics program and see it 1.1)
I hope that wasn't a 'right click' ..... Might cause problems on a mac
I hope that wasn't a 'right click' ..... Might cause problems on a mac
Ah... you obviously don't have the mighty mouse.
Paul Parallels is good for stuff like Office, internet (quite a few websites will not take Mac OS browsers and either the java or windows media just don't work on the Mac) and also windows only non-processor/ram intensive programs.
It's possible to run 3 systems on the macpro. Linux, Windows and Mac OSX.
I would choose not based on OS but the software you choose. Remember you have to buy 2 OS for the computer and all the other requisite programs for both platforms.
no worries, i won't be choosing only on the OS, but i wouldn't mind adding mac os to the home computer stable as i have not played with apple stuff since writing assembler code for the 6502 way back when. so i am trying to see what it could mean for me in terms of choices available or not should i add the macpro within the context of trying to play with video.