Its been a while from my last post. Here is a small video of diving with the Humboldt squid. We wanted to show what a typical dive trip would be like. Cool footage and some minor attacks as well.
Are you guys just hanging there under the boat by ropes?
They are an agro lot that's for sure.
Are you guys just hanging there under the boat by ropes?
Well they are ropes with the comm line for the communications system woven into the rope. The breaking strength is 1200lbs for the rope so it should hold if you get grabbed. We also use steel cable. Lots of times the squid will grab you and try and pull you down and away from the other squid. The saftey rope prevents the scenario of getting pulled down too far.
You can see they are pretty curious for calimari.
GTB
Have divers actually been killed or severely harmed by Humboldt squid?
Have divers actually been killed or severely harmed by Humboldt squid?
No divers that I know of have been killed by Humboldts. There are rumors of divers that have dissapeared but they are just speculation. There have been legends and stories for years that Humboltd squid have killed unfortunate fishermen that fell over in a fishing frenzy, but those have been un-proven. My partner Scott Cassell started to dive with them when he heard the story about the man size squid that would attack you. He heard the story about 10 years ago and the rest is history. Im sure if you were in a squid frenzy without armor or a tether to the boat you would be very messed up at the very least. We dont take any chances at all with this animals and with all of the saftey precautions we use we can relax and enjoy the beauty of the animals without having to worry if we will get hurt from their natural behavior.
GTB
Incredible! Wow
Where was this in Mexico?
I've wanted to do this since I saw Steve give a talk in San Diego a few years ago and show some of his early footage. Howard Hall has some great night footage as well. Is the number at the end of the film yours? What would a trip cost and entail? Any night work?
Steve B)
I've wanted to do this since I saw Steve give a talk in San Diego a few years ago and show some of his early footage. Howard Hall has some great night footage as well. Is the number at the end of the film yours? What would a trip cost and entail? Any night work?
Steve B)
there is lots of info on the dive at the website on the end of the clip. We work out of Loreto Baja CA south. We run trips every sunday thru thursday.
Howard hall is my idol.......
GTB
I've known Howard and Michelle since the early 90's when they used to buy from the dive shop I owned at the time. Both of them are some of the nicest people you can meet. I remember how honored I felt when Michelle called me to invite me to the premier opening of their Isle of the Sharks about the Coco Islands. I have been to the Cocos about 9 or 10 times and it is still my favorite place to dive. Going back in Aug. 2008
Michelle is especially outgoing and friendly and she is an excellent photographer in her own right. Howard can seem shy at first but he is incredibly knowledgeable and is always happy to share. They have both worked hard for their success and deserve it.
Steve B)
I've known Howard and Michelle since the early 90's when they used to buy from the dive shop I owned at the time. Both of them are some of the nicest people you can meet. I remember how honored I felt when Michelle called me to invite me to the premier opening of their Isle of the Sharks about the Coco Islands. I have been to the Cocos about 9 or 10 times and it is still my favorite place to dive. Going back in Aug. 2008
Michelle is especially outgoing and friendly and she is an excellent photographer in her own right. Howard can seem shy at first but he is incredibly knowledgeable and is always happy to share. They have both worked hard for their success and deserve it.
Steve B)
I just sent you a pm on your website. You have done some great trips!! If you ever want to take a group diving with some friendly huggable squids let me know!