I have been thinking about the ways of photographing cryptics. Some critters are so good at camouflage that they are hard to see, let alone photograph. There are several ways that I can think of to make reasonable images
1. Use depth of field to highlight some feature (usually eyes). Getting very close often helps.
2. Try a to shoot at an unusual angle to isolate the animal. This is usually hard unless it is on top of a structure or you end up scaring the critter out of his normal habitat.
3. Use unusual lighting to bring out features. This should work, but I confess that I haven't been too successful at it. For example you could use backlight or sidelight to isolate him from the environment.
Can anyone else think of other ways? Here are a couple of my attempts of #1. Does anyone have examples of the others?

