Hi All,
Just successfully tested an HD DVD I authored with menu and chapter markers created in DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 and played back on a Toshiba HD-D2KU set-top HD DVD player connected via HDMI to a 50" plasma 1920x1080 HDTV! Looks fantastic!
And the best part is that the HD DVD video asset is the original HDV sequence exported from my FCP timeline as a self-contained 1080i60 HDV movie. (HDV is HD MPEG-2.)
There had been a good amount of talk on various DVDSP-related forums about the Toshiba HD DVD players not recognizing menus created in DVDSP 4.x, but usually playing tracks OK. An update for DVDSP was just released by Apple, and the resulting HD DVD, including menu and chapter markers, works perfectly in the Toshiba!
Now, of course, the downside is that because I burned the HD DVD on my G5 to a standard 4.7 GB DVD, I'll be limited to around 15 to 18 minutes or so of HDV footage (depending on the size of the additional menu assets). I've yet to test encoding the video using an H.264 compression of the original HDV sequence, which will be my next step.
But this is great for shorter HDV vids where you might want to maintain the full HDV resolution. And the Toshiba HD DVD player is coming down in price--now available at Costco here in SoCal for $449 USD.
Mary Lynn