Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Creating Web Pages

Started by Taxgeek ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Creating Web Pages

7 posts
  1. I'm a beginner with creating web pages. I was using pbase for a long time to host my photos, until I decided I wanted my own website and more control over how things look.

     

    I've managed to get my url, my hosting account with ftp client, and a simple (free) html program (NVue), and am making web photo galleries with Lightroom (flash and xhtml). I've managed to get things working pretty well.

     

    Now I'd like to learn a little more about the whole thing - maybe enough to tweak lightroom's xhtml galleries a little, and learn to make better html webpages (NVue seems pretty simplistic?). I might like to make my web pages in Photoshop and use ImageReady to make them web-ready, but it's really baffling when you first look at it, never having used imageready, even though I'm pretty good with photoshop.

     

    So I did a little web surfing, but I'm having trouble coming up with good forums or other learning resources.

     

    Any suggestions on how to get to that next level? Should I just get an Imageready book? Or is there a better way than that?

     

    Thanks so much for any advice! This stuff is HARD! :blush:

    Susan

  2. For a nice gallery i'd use Gallery 2 http://gallery.menalto.com/

     

    It's daatabase driven so make sure you have php enabled on your server, they have great user forums and it's easy to use.

     

    If you want to make your own, and edit xhtml you might want dreamweaver or similar, as it can check your code for syntax errors and such, which makes it easier for fault finding.

  3. I'm a beginner with creating web pages. I was using pbase for a long time to host my photos, until I decided I wanted my own website and more control over how things look.

     

    I've managed to get my url, my hosting account with ftp client, and a simple (free) html program (NVue), and am making web photo galleries with Lightroom (flash and xhtml). I've managed to get things working pretty well.

     

    Now I'd like to learn a little more about the whole thing - maybe enough to tweak lightroom's xhtml galleries a little, and learn to make better html webpages (NVue seems pretty simplistic?). I might like to make my web pages in Photoshop and use ImageReady to make them web-ready, but it's really baffling when you first look at it, never having used imageready, even though I'm pretty good with photoshop.

     

    So I did a little web surfing, but I'm having trouble coming up with good forums or other learning resources.

     

    Any suggestions on how to get to that next level? Should I just get an Imageready book? Or is there a better way than that?

     

    Thanks so much for any advice! This stuff is HARD! :blush:

    Susan

    i used to go to webmonkey to find out about basics of many web concepts and languages. you might find it useful

    http://www.webmonkey.com/

     

    hth /paul

  4. i second webmonkey ... it has vey basic lessons for begginers .. and also some mroe complicated styling (css) lessons and php mysql also when you want to get some experience for some under the hood work on some great open source phop webware such as various gallery webwares use.

     

    If you are making galleries I would keep them simple and the lightroom stuff you are so far .. and link to them from an html page !

     

    gallery by menalto was recommended earlier .. I don't particularly like that program as it is VERY bulky .. and also very hard to get to grips with not only to use .. but also to modify themses to get your own look .. myadvice stay away from that.

     

    maybe you have seen something you like ..? point it out .. and maybe someone can say how its done ..

     

    it all depends what you want to do ... what web hosting you have .. and how much you are willing to learn and how much time you have to waste !

     

    Giles

  5. Wow, lots of great info, thanks! I will check out webmonkey first I think.

    I think Giles hit the nail on the head: "it all depends what you want to do ... what web hosting you have .. and how much you are willing to learn and how much time you have to waste !" :blush:

  6. oh yes .. coding forums can be VERY usefull .. i use it loads ...

     

    w3schools i find gives you the correct code .. but not nec examples that are usefull.

     

    I think it is best to learn from basics .. sure you sont get results you find perfect at first .. but starting by coding html will teach you more how it works .. then you can figure out how to get 'what you want' out of the code or new codes ..

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.