Has anyone experience of UW comms equipment? Either the full face or regulator option. I was thinking of trying out some equipment at the local dive site with camera and wife in tow to test its viability!
This would be a useful tool for those who dive with regular buddies ie husband/wife teams when taking photos. There has been many a dive with my wife, Deb when I have screamed myself silly to get her attention. :freak:
Mark
On the other hand there are times when non-communication has its advantages.
Imagine the scenario: lined up and waiting for that perfect shot, been there 15 mins and the shivers are just starting to set in. Finger poised on the shutter button about to snap .........when all of a sudden you get a voice shouting "Mark, what you looking at". Shot ruined. :angryfire:
I suppose it works both ways though!
We used to use Arga's at the cove about 10 years ago. They're ok, not sure if I would want my women to have the ability to talk legibly underwater though.
I suppose it would hurt more if you did have the ability to talk to them, but chose not to!!!
We use full face and comms here on our search and rescue team. They play a very important role for that purpose, search patterns, etc. I also have considered using them for recreation and I know a few that do. We use the AGA mask (not sure of the spelling) which seems to be the mask of choice by most rescue personnel and commercial divers that I know. You tend to consume more air with a full face, especially when talking.
We use full face and comms here on our search and rescue team.
What line of work are you in then Scotty?
I have used the AGGA's in the waters here. They are nice when you are in 5 ft visability and trying to locate you buddy. Also nice for ice diving as you get full face coverage.
I found them uncomfortable with my neoprene hood. They seemd to puch my jaw back ackwardly. Should not be a problem with a latex hood.
I personally enjoy the solitude of being underwater and listening to the sounds. What's next, taking your mini TV that has a heads up display on your mask so you don't miss your favouite show on the TV?
I personally enjoy the solitude of being underwater and listening to the sounds. What's next, taking your mini TV that has a heads up display on your mask so you don't miss your favouite show on the TV?
On The Boot they introduced a snokel with integrated radio. The Sound is transmitted via your jawbone to your ear.
Ha Ha. There's one for Eric to work at.....wetpixel FM
Bob Jarman needs an amplifier so he can hear the urchins sneaking up on him.
Mark, I participate with a volunteer search and rescue (recovery) unit here at home. I am also the National Rescue Coordinator for the IHBA dragboat association and travel coast to coast to their national series events.
I suspect I will leave the comm gear at home while recreational diving. I also enjoy the solitude and would probably do it more for safety than pleasure anyway.
However, In techie diving, I think a lot of lives could be spared. Take for instance the man and son that died diving the U-boat off the coast of NJ. They couldn't find their staged cylinders due to being narked, and had to go directly to the surface. It would have been a simple matter of having someone send them down some cylinders for decompression. How many other cases could it have made a difference if there was communication with those on board? A comm system is a very small price to pay for those types of situations.