Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Is this a good idea?

Started by robbcayman ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Is this a good idea?

11 posts
  1. I've been diving for 4 years now, and I have been thinking for years how I want to get into underwater photography. I don't need anything super fancy (slr) However, I would like something digital with a strobe. I take 4-5 trips a year to the Caribbean, so I just need something that is decent and I can upload on my computer.

     

    Now, would it be dumb to buy one of these packages? http://www.crazyscuba.com/cat_digital.cfm

     

    Are they overpriced, or crappy especially flooding?? I am looking at buying one of the following packages anywhere from $600 -$1800 is my budget. I like these pacakages because everything is included i.e. strobe Thanks for any help. ;)

  2. I'd be tempted to give your budget to someone like Ryan at Reef photo, i bet you could get a nice quick point and shoot camera, ikelite housing and DS-51, maybe even a DS125 for that price, with money to spare for a few memory cards, filters and other bits.

     

    I've tried a few of the pre-made packages by sea and sea / sealife and always felt they were a bit behind the current technology, Ikelite will usually have a housing for the camera in a matter of weeks of it coming out.

     

    Ryan will also know what the hot cameras are at the moment, definitely worth a call. Their link is in the sponsors area to the right.

  3. I've been diving for 4 years now, and I have been thinking for years how I want to get into underwater photography. I don't need anything super fancy (slr) However, I would like something digital with a strobe. I take 4-5 trips a year to the Caribbean, so I just need something that is decent and I can upload on my computer.

     

    Now, would it be dumb to buy one of these packages? http://www.crazyscuba.com/cat_digital.cfm

     

    Are they overpriced, or crappy especially flooding?? I am looking at buying one of the following packages anywhere from $600 -$1800 is my budget. I like these pacakages because everything is included i.e. strobe Thanks for any help. ;)

     

    You must ask yourself what you want to do with underwater photography. If you simply want some pictures to show the folks back home, then any of the packages on the website are perfectly adequate to the job. On the other extreme, if you want to take award winning photographs, you might want to think about aiming a little higher. If your budget is limited, look at last year's models and used equipment. There are lots of excellent cameras/housings/etc. for sale because their owners have responded to the call of newer toys.

     

    The Oly SP-350 in an Ike housing, with a DS-51 or DS-125 strobe would be an excellent choice for a beginning digital system to learn on.

     

    Like Scuba_SI says, Ryan at Reefphoto is a good guy to talk to.

     

    I need to warn you, u/w photography is a hole in the ocean into which to throw money! But, it's a lot of fun.

    Edited by jlyle
  4. I will call Ryan at Reef photo and see what he thinks. I don't think I will ever have the skill to shoot award winning photos like Eric Cheng. I would be happy with something in the middle of the road. I am just worried about dumping $800+ on a camera and then having it flood. I guess that's why they make rider policies on homeowners LOL!! I would buy a top of the line camera if I lived closer to the ocean i.e Maui, South Florida etc..

  5. I will call Ryan at Reef photo and see what he thinks. I don't think I will ever have the skill to shoot award I am just worried about dumping $800+ on a camera and then having it flood. I guess that's why they make rider policies on homeowners LOL!! I would buy a top of the line camera if I lived closer to the ocean i.e Maui, South Florida etc..

     

    In that case, i'd definitely avoid the ones in the link, if you dont live near the ocean, you'll want a camera that's easy to use and full of the latest gadgets to use when you're not diving.

     

    For insurance, theres a long thread running somewhere on here about the problems of using your homeowners. Most people get their insurance through DEPP in teh States... I think, a quick search for 'insurance' will help you out.

    Edited by Scuba_SI
  6. In that case, i'd definitely avoid the ones in the link, if you dont live near the ocean, you'll want a camera that's easy to use and full of the latest gadgets to use when you're not diving.

     

    For insurance, theres a long thread running somewhere on here about the problems of using your homeowners. Most people get their insurance through DEPP in teh States... I think, a quick search for 'insurance' will help you out.

     

    Good point, I do want a decent camera as my crappy 7 megapixel samsung won't even turn on anymore. I don't want to regret spending $700-$800 on a junk camera system. On the other hand, I don't want to regret spending thousands on something I will only use 4-5 times a year. I guess the solution is to travel more. ;) As for the insurance, I wasn't aware of issues. I will look into DEPP insurance and see what options they offer. I'm going to Curacao in 5 months and I want a decent setup. Are some housings better than others when it comes to flooding i.e. ikleite vs gates (< which I know is top end)? Lastly, would you be kind enough to recommend a middle of the road camera?

  7. I dont think gates make still camera housings anymore. Your options are Ikelite, Light and Motion, Fantasea and then the camera manufacturers (Olympus, Nikon, Fuji etc) make their own. I think the Ikelite ones are more robust, and the Light and Motion ones are great, but expensive.

     

    Try to find a digicam that has minimal shutter lag, good optics and shoots raw if possible (but dont bother about Raw if you're not keen on computers). There is a thread on that here, and lots more like it on the digicam forum.

     

    Olympus and Canon seem to be the favourite ones to house underwater. If you go for one of the manufacturers own housings i would suggest Inon strobes, if you go for an Ikelite then i'd go for an Ikelite strobe.

     

    If i was going to buy a digital camera soon then i'd be looking at an Olympus, probably the SP350, and i'd probably look into the ikelite housing as i already have ikelite strobes.

     

    Half the fun in underwater photography is shopping for all the crap that you 'need' so take your time and see if anyone at your local diveshop has something you can hold in your hands. Also, there may well be some new cameras released over the summer, so if you don't find something that you fall in love with using it on land, wait a while.

     

    If you don't like the menu system and usability on land you'll hate it underwater, so definitely go and bug the folks at your camera store and test lots of cameras.

    Edited by Scuba_SI
  8. I appreciate the help. I'm not going to rush into anything, and I may have to wait a month or 2 to allow my budget to grow. Maybe I could get something a little nicer. At first I ruled out (slr) due to cost, but it may be worth it.

  9. I appreciate the help. I'm not going to rush into anything, and I may have to wait a month or 2 to allow my budget to grow. Maybe I could get something a little nicer. At first I ruled out (slr) due to cost, but it may be worth it.

     

    Oh dear...

     

    You are falling down the slippy slope!

     

    If you're not really interested in photography above water then it might not be worth it. If i wasn't doing studio work my gear would be sat gathering dust for most of the year, which would basically mean i'd have to sell it.

     

    I don't get excited about taking pictures in England, so it is seldom used for pictures in this country.

     

    Have a good think and let us know what you decide before you invest, things may have changed by the summer!

  10. I've used the Sea & Sea DX8000 with DX27 strobe. It's a good setup, but a little pricey for what you get at around $1200-1300. We quit selling Sea Life. I hated them.

     

    If you don't already own an SLR or other digital camera, the alternatives will cost at least as much.

  11. I've used the Sea & Sea DX8000 with DX27 strobe. It's a good setup, but a little pricey for what you get at around $1200-1300. We quit selling Sea Life. I hated them.

     

    If you don't already own an SLR or other digital camera, the alternatives will cost at least as much.

     

    I think I'm going to go with the oly sp350 with an ikelite housing and a DS51 strobe. I have ruled out that other starter junk, which is overpriced anyways.

    Edited by robbcayman

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.