Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Olympus E-410 or E-510 ???

Started by GoingDown ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus E-410 or E-510 ???

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone! In an effort to buy the "right" DSLR setup ... the first time ... I ran across and actually held the newest Olympus E-410 recently at a trade show. It impressed me and looking more carefully at the specs even impressed me more. It was in their Olympus Housing.

     

    Then...further research revealed the other new one ... the Olympus E-510! Major difference was the added Image Stabilization feature, removal of the U/W "scene modes", and of course slightly different measurements - from the E-410.

     

    So, all excited, I embarked on getting prices for the E-410 and was flatly advised that it is NOT available yet! (July '07) Then I've read posts hinting that since the U/W scene features were removed on the E-510 perhaps Olympus is not planning on making the housing for it!?

     

    Anyone have any information that they might be able to share? Thanks in advance for any help!

     

    GoingDown :)

  2. So, all excited, I embarked on getting prices for the E-410 and was flatly advised that it is NOT available yet! (July '07) Then I've read posts hinting that since the U/W scene features were removed on the E-510 perhaps Olympus is not planning on making the housing for it!?

     

    Olympus is not making a housing for the E-510 they are leaving it to others (of course things may change, you never know)

  3. Hi GD,

     

    The Olympus E-410 camera is listed on one large U.S. mail order site for $699. body only and is set for release here in May, the Oly PT-E03 housing will come a month or two later at or less than $1000.

     

    Olympus has a history of putting U/W scene modes on the cameras they are building a housing for and not on the others. I would expect to see housings from other builders for the Olympus E510 but not from Olympus. I would also expect to wait a while for those housings. I also don't see huge upsides for the image stabilization in U/W photography and would find the larger battery a more useful advantage to the E-410. I do look forward to I.S. for my long lenses out of the water either with the E-510 or the Pro model coming later in the year.

     

    P.S I have used the E-330 and E-330 in Olympus housings as my main camera systems and have never had any reason to used the U/W scene modes.

     

    Phil Rudin

  4. The brochures on the 410 and 510 say about 400 shots per charge for the 410, 500 for the 510.

     

    personally, I'd go for the 510. The little grip makes it a lot more comfortable for me (big hands) on land, and the image stabilization would be great on land. But the size of the 410 would make it great for travel, and the size of it in the oly housing sure is nice. But big housings and heavy luggage (up to a limit) don't bother me so much, so that's my choice.

     

    amazon has all the cameras and kits listed.

     

    The kit lenses with these cameras probably won't be legendary quality. But damn, they are small, and for an extra scubabuck or two, why not get them.

  5. We just got news here in Malaysia that the E410 will be available by next weekend in Kuala Lumpur stores!!! That would be great but I'm waiting for the E510..... :glare:

  6. I also just received word that the E410 is available here in the US. Olympus has informed me that they do not (yet) have the UW Housing listed as an available accessory. Anyone heard differently yet? Thanks!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.