Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Gobies in Bonaire

Started by acroporas ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Gobies in Bonaire

3 posts
  1. I just got back from Bonaire. Here are two gobies that I'm having troubble ID'ing.

     

    First a post-larval? cleaner goby. Anyone want to guess which species it is going to grow into. My guess would be either Yellownose (E. randalli) or Sharknose (E. evelynae) because thouse were the two most common a adults I saw.

    Elacatinus%201.jpg

    Elacatinus%202.jpg

     

    This one I have no clue as to what it is, but it was quite common.

    Goby%201.jpg

    Goby%202.jpg

     

    Last one (for now). Perhaps a Female Blackhead Blenny?

    Goby%203.jpg

    Edited by acroporas
  2. Hi William,

     

    Yes, I think the gobies are post-larval, but I think they are Elacatinus chancei. When they recruit they already have the yellow (or blue) line more or less formed, so I don't think it will develop into a full line.

     

    About the blennies, I think both are of the genus Emblemariopsis. The first to me looks like a female E. ramirezi and the second like E. signifera, but those are almost impossible to identify to species without collecting specimens.

     

    Luiz

  3. Thanks Luiz.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.