Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

First dives with a DSLR

Started by saeedrashid ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

First dives with a DSLR

5 posts
  1. Hi guys

     

    I've just come back from a weeks wrecking in the Red Sea. I've never been this time of year before, I'm glad I took my 5mm semi + a shortie, very cold doing 4 dives a day, well I only really managed 3 apart from a night dive on the TG. Vis was crap but I still managed to take a few photos with my new camera setup, Canon 400D 10-22 lens, 8' dome port with an ikelite housing, oh and no strobes.

     

    For anyone thinking of going over to a DSLR think very good and hard about it. Apart from the cost there is so much to think about from carry the b1oody thing around, setting it up before the dive, adding more weight to it trying to make it neutrally buoyant, what settings to use under the water, trying the look though the VERY small view finder (which is a nightmare) the list goes on and on.

     

    The first dive I hated it, I spent most the it wondering how much I would get on eBay for camera system I had just spent £1000's on, but ended up really having fun with it and now can't wait to go back and get wet.

     

    I will be uploading my photo soon on my site but for now here are a few of them. Hope you like them

     

    Saeed

     

    P.s. I have done very little PS editing apart from some RAW processing on these.

     

    jelly1.jpg

    IMG_1183_2.jpg

    chain.jpg

    IMG_1342.jpg

    Edited by saeedrashid
  2. Hi Saeed

     

    Welcome to the wonderful word of dSLRs, weight and faff!

     

    You seem happy enough with using the 400D though - bear in mind that you have a relative 'lightweight' system!!! Glad you have started enjoying it - I reckon that first dives with a dSLR usually frustrate anyone who started with a compact (this is what a number of friends tell me anyway).

     

    Look forward to seeing more pix.

  3. Hi Saeed

     

    Welcome to the wonderful word of dSLRs, weight and faff!

     

    You seem happy enough with using the 400D though - bear in mind that you have a relative 'lightweight' system!!! Glad you have started enjoying it - I reckon that first dives with a dSLR usually frustrate anyone who started with a compact (this is what a number of friends tell me anyway).

     

    Look forward to seeing more pix.

     

    Thanks Paul, I'm sure one day I will have the cash to get one of your housings.... :D

  4. Looks like you had a great time! Any more photos?

     

    katamuki

  5. not bad for a first time out!

     

    Why no strobes?

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.