Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Calcium on Glass

Started by wagsy ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Calcium on Glass

9 posts
  1. Just getting the NikonD70 ready for tomorrow and on close inspection of the housings port there is calcium marks on it. So I tried Wndex glass cleaner then Calcium Lime Remover and still the stain is there. It's like it's eaten ito the glass itself?

     

    I am well aware of the very high amounts of calcium in the fresh water here in town and always wipe the port dry after washing but must of been abit slack one day.

     

    Any tips on getting it off.

     

    No wonder I don't drink the stuff. :)

  2. Hi Wags... I think we have a thread going on this in the video forum.

     

    Try soaking it in Coke overnight, or vinegar, or put half a lemon on it. Anything with a weak acid in it should work and not damage your port.

     

    You use sea and sea don't you? could you just scrape it off and re-polish your dome?

     

    Simon

  3. Yes I remember there was some talk on it as it happened to an old Video housing we had.

     

    You can feel it with your fingernail, I'll try leaving it in vinegar over night to see what that does.

    Worse case, might have to get a polishing kit to try and polish it out.

  4. I tried the vinegar soak and it didn't help at all. Haven't tried soaking in cola or lemon yet. Anyone care to expirement? Wags...can you try these and see if they work?

  5. I think i have a little bit of this white deposit in the threads of one of my housings, i can experiment with acids if you like, but i wouldn't fancy putting anything too strong on expensive coated glass.

     

    Is anyone here on wetpixel a school teacher, or do you know one? What we probably need is high molarity Sulphuric or Nitric Acid, if we could apply this precisely to the CaCO3 then it should bubble and remove it within minutes, it will not damage normal glass, but may bugger plastic ports.

     

    My ex was a science teacher... i knew there was a reason i shouldn't have dumped her :)

  6. If if wasn't gone after the vinegar I don't think it is a simple CaCO3 deposit.

    Edited by Sven
  7. You can get the scrubbing pads that don't scratch .. we use those on our semi submarine .. and they work great.

     

    http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/scotchbr...ng_sponges.html

     

    look for any of those that say no scratch.

     

    (i am talking about acrylic lense stuff .. i havent trie on glass .. but should be ok too ?)

  8. Cheers guys.

    We tried vinegar...no luck.

     

    Will look for a polishing solution and what you suggested Giles.

     

    I'll try to post a pic when we get back, it's real strange.

     

    Down in Perth picking up our new BIKE.... :wacko::)

  9. i have the problem of those deposits on my mask. Have even tried stronger acid to no effect. Toothpaste likewise doesn't do a thing.

     

    Charles

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.