Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Legal advice

Started by Jules (Helioxfilm) ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Legal advice

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I would like to use some screenshots from few feature film or documentaries (for ex. Finding Nemo or Deep Blue) in one of my following documentary. The situation is the following: I do not want to insert the screenshots into the timeline directly, I would do it as it is in training videos: you can see the frame of the computer display, other elements of the desktop. So the audience knows always, that that shot is from this or from that film. Maybe the best description is the following: I show a man watching a DVD (on a display or via the television). He is watching e.g. the Deep Blue, and this scene can be seen in my documentary.

     

     

    Is it legal? Who do I need to contact to get the right to use screenshots?

     

    Any advice is warmly welcomed...

     

    Jules

    Edited by Jules (Helioxfilm)
  2. If your documentary is distributed or sold, no way would this be legal, and getting the rights to it, while not impossible, would be both very time consuming and expensive. The same goes with most music.

    Steve B)

    Edited by steve
  3. Haha,

    Maybe I'm not the one to chime in with anything legal at the moment given my current issues at hand. BUT I would have thought it best you direct your question to the legal department of the production or parent company of the movies you want to use screenshots from etc.

     

    Maybe thats the best way forward with this.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.