- 12Posts
- 12Replies
Read-only discussion
Crab ID
-
-
Oscar is cute! I can't see enough of him to be sure but the fine "fur coat" suggests that it's Polydectus cupulifer. Was it holding anemones? P. cupulifer is often found holding a pair of anemones like Lybia boxing crabs.
-
Asian Diver Magazine had one on the cover last year in an story by William Tan:
http://www.asiandiver.com/editorial/editor...grp=Destination
http://www.edge-of-reef.com/brachiuri/BRAP...cupuliferen.htm
Hope that these are useful.
Alex
-
Ahhhh 'Teddy Bear' crab
He looks great
Dive safe
DeanB
-
According to that edge-of-reef info this crab can hold onto anemones for defensive purposes. Does this make a "tool" user and maybe even the lost link somewhere in the primate chain...!
:-)
-
Teddy bear name suggests family Ursidae.
Alex
-
It wasn't holding any anemones, which made me wonder whether it's a teddy bear or not.
The guides seemed to think it wasn't, though they had no alternative explanation except "It's like a teddy bear, but it's different." I've been using "shaggy crab" and "oscar" as proxy/ working names. Guess I have to go back and look for more.
Cheers,
Tony
-
Tony, the common name teddy bear is applied to other furry species as well. For example, there are some in the genera Pilumnus, Hirsutodynomene & Heteropilumnus. Your guides might have had one of the other ones in mind.
Looking for more is always a good idea.

-
Thanks Leslie,
Crabs are so confusing...
I'll be back there later in the year, and will see if I can find more to add to my confusion

Cheers,
Tony
-
-
Oops, sorry to have neglected you. I didn't realize you had something new in this thread.
These little guys are unmistakeable - at least the genus is - once you've seen one. It's an elbow crab called Cryptopodia. Do you have pictures of it from above?
This one was also taken at Lembeh http://www.reefimages.com/Shrimp/Shrimp1.htm and it's been left as Cryptopodia sp as well.
For comparison with another species see http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.p...17839#msg117839
-
Thanks Leslie,
That's definitely it. You're awesome!
Cheers,
Tony