Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Upgrading to DSLR

Started by pirate_diver ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Upgrading to DSLR

3 posts
  1. Hi everyone, I just joined this forum at the advice of a semi-professional U/W photographer. I am currently shooting a relatively basic point and shoot casio exilim z-40 with it's underwater housing. I have been getting fairly decent pics in shallow settings (up to about 40ft. or so) but the deeper I go I just can't seem to get good quality (for the obvious reasons of light, no manual functions, etc.) Also, this camera is pretty good for more macro/close up shots, especially of generally still inverts but when it comes to larger, faster moving macro fauna I am not as pleased (I do get lucky every now and then). So I have been thinking of upgrading to an SLR with housing, strobe, port, etc (not neccessarily all at the same time for $$$ reasons but you get my drift. So I had a few questions for those of you have been around the block a bit with SLRs and U/W photography.

     

    1) I am relatively familiar with the basics of f-stops, shutter speeds, apertures, white balance, etc. How easy of a switch is it from point and shoot to SLR (I have no 35mm film camera experience...I do have some motion picture film experience).

     

    2) What is the best SLR to go to from a point and shoot? I have looked at the Canon digital rebel and the Canon D series and have been given some advice on those. The U/W photographer I spoke with said to go with the Canon 30D since the20D is pretty outdated and it might be hard to get a housing for. I was also told to go with the D-series over the rebel because the rebel is plastic body and thus less durable.

     

    3) Canon or Nikon??? Those seem to be the two major brands that I have seen U/W photographers use.

     

    4) What lense(s) should I start with and/or eventually move to get?

     

    5) I am pretty set with going with Ikelite for my housing (and possible strobes and ports as well). Any suggestions there?

     

    6) Right now I am willing to spend/have roughly $1000-$2000 to spend, which I know isn't a lot, especially when I need to get the camera, at least one lense, housing, strobe, and port. Any suggestions for a good starter set up that isn't too basic, but not too expensive either. I would be willing to get a camera first and get used to shooting SLR top side before shelling out the money right away to go back U/W.

     

    Any help, suggestions, comments, tips on where to find good deals/prices, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

     

    - Mike

  2. Mike,

     

    I'm in a similar boat, and have been perusing wetpixel for a few months to get advice and ideas. Here's what I've learned:

     

    It'll be pretty impossible for you to get much more than a DSLR and a used Ikelite housing for $1000-$2000. I picked up a used 20D with the kit lens for $720 in January. A new Ikelite housing for it will be at least $1235. Strobes and cords and ports and lenses and whatnot will be another grand, easily.

     

    Another point of reference: a wetpixel member recently got $1700 on eBay for his used 20D and used Ikelite housing (and some extra batteries). No ports, no strobes. So you might want to raise your budget a bit. Even if you buy all-used stuff you're probably going to have to plunk down way more than $2k.

     

    That said, prices for used cameras and housings should continue to drop, so maybe later in the year you'll be able to get what you need for less than $200. Who knows. The classifieds here on wetpixel are a good place to be on the lookout for used gear.

     

    - Dan

  3. Hey Mike. I just joined recently as well. I'm just alittle ahead of you. I've been shooting with a sea/sea motor marine 2. I good camera, but you have to set up everything manually. If your interested i may sell it because i just bought a Nikon D200. As far as nikon vs canon, it really doesn't matter. They are both good cameras. Nike vs Reebok, Coke vs Pepsi if you get me. Some will say definitely nikon for this or that. Others canon for this or that. Doesn't matter one bit. Both excellent cameras w/ good lenses. I've had a canon in the past and just wanted to try nikon. I'm still learning it on land, but i love it. As for the pricees. I would start with a nikon D50 maybe if i was you, or D40/D70. These won't be quite so much and are still great cameras. Play with your new camera on land, then when you have more $, get the housing and accessories. It's not a cheap hobby. hope this helps some. Coop.

     

     

    Hey Mike. I just joined recently as well. I'm just alittle ahead of you. I've been shooting with a sea/sea motor marine 2. I good camera, but you have to set up everything manually. If your interested i may sell it because i just bought a Nikon D200. As far as nikon vs canon, it really doesn't matter. They are both good cameras. Nike vs Reebok, Coke vs Pepsi if you get me. Some will say definitely nikon for this or that. Others canon for this or that. Doesn't matter one bit. Both excellent cameras w/ good lenses. I've had a canon in the past and just wanted to try nikon. I'm still learning it on land, but i love it. As for the pricees. I would start with a nikon D50 maybe if i was you, or D40/D70. These won't be quite so much and are still great cameras. Play with your new camera on land, then when you have more $, get the housing and accessories. It's not a cheap hobby. hope this helps some. Coop.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.