Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

LEARNING CURVE for NLE

Started by wpala ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

LEARNING CURVE for NLE

5 posts
  1. Hi

    I'm in the market for good NLE program i'm leaning towards Edius 4 but I have never worked with any NLE programs i'm computer savy but not an expert what is a leraning curve for those programs

    Thanks

    Paul.W

  2. Assuming that you will be using a PC and not a Mac, the Edius program has a good and growing reputation. It is a fair assumption that the NLE manual will not be a very clear one as most aren't. For Final Cut Pro users there are a great number of tutorial discs and internet forums which will greatly speed up the learning curve. Thus, for the Edius user, I would suggest that you investigate the various websites that are Edius based and hopefully, they will point you to various books and tutorials which will help with the learning curve. Or, ask Wags, as he is the resident genius for Edius I believe. Just because there is a learning curve doesn't mean you should shy away, most NLEs have a great deal in common when it comes to interfaces and workflows.

    Steve B)

  3. Actually I am in a similiar situation. Just purchased a consumer HDV cam (Sony HC7) and will be eventually housing it.

     

    As a PC user, I have played around briefly with Adobe Premiere and will take a look at Edius as well.

     

    I was wondering if anyone had a link to a general guide on HDV workflow. My initial goal will not involve HD final products as I need to beef up my PC for HD rendering... In the meantime, I want to start learning the workflow involved with shooting in HDV, downconverting for editing and output to SD (or DVD quality).

     

    thanks,

    Edited by pakman
  4. Hi Guys

    Yes Im a EDIUS fan and you really cannot get any easier editing DV and HDV on a PC and you can even edit the new AVCHD format.

     

    It is $$$ though but there is a neat deal on by the looks were you can get it for half price if you are using other NLE's.

     

    Heroglyph is a real cool plug for it as well.

     

    Editing in HDV (Canopus HQ Codec) and encoding out normal DVD's is better than down converting in the camera and editing in DV then to a normal DVD. It's colour correction is very good and so is slow mo.

     

    Encoding out all kinds of formats from the timeline is very easy, even QT H.264 and FLV etc.

     

    It is strange to use at first though. :):wacko: but once you get to know you way around its fine.

     

    You can download a free 30 day version (version 4)and they are constanly making it better. (4.25 now)

    There is some training stuff here

    Have Fun

    Edited by wagsy
  5. Knew you would come through Wags.;-)

    Steve B)

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.