Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

drysuits shell or neoprene ?

Started by scuba-s ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

drysuits shell or neoprene ?

10 posts
  1. am thinking of getting a drysuit for this winter and can"t make my mind up between neo or shell the water temp is about 18degrees c in winter which i know some would think is warm but we feel it more because our summer temp is 25-27 c anyway i know that neo and shell have there good and bad points but i would like some advice from both camps ,i was looking at the northern diver vortex drysuit which is a shell and not bad value and am concerned about the extra wieght needed for neo but am still stuck on what type to get any advice welcome steve. ;)

  2. Shell:

    advantages: fast drying, packs small and light, buoyancy change only from air in suit

    disadvantages: (for most shell suits) no stretch in suit material so they have to be cut looser to allow full range of movement which usually means big wrinkles and more drag when moving through water

     

    Regular neoprene:

    advantage: less expensive compared to compressed neoprene or good quality shell suit, material stretches so suit fits more like a wet suit which means little drag in the water, some insulation in case of major leak.

    disadvantages: buoyancy change from air in suit and gas in neoprene (behaves more like a wetsuit for buoyancy; could require more lead), long drying time, heavy, bulky to pack.

     

    Compressed neoprene:

    advantages: material stretches but has very little buoyancy change due to material compression, suit can be cut fairly snug (meaning few wrinkles and fairly streamlined in water), tough durable material

    disadvantages: heavy, a little bulky to pack, long drying time, expensive

  3. Drysuits can be a very personal thing. If at all possible try a few different types of suit on. Having tried and owned many I now know that I like slightly stretchy membrane suits, can't get on with neoprene and don't care for the cheaper thin membrane much either. BUT I have friends who stick with neoprene and like neoprene seals (I like latex as I find I can never seal neoprene thorouhgly). You might find that trying one type of suit puts you straight off it (I've seen it happen often enough) or that you really don't mind any of them, in which case its about which feels comfiest! There are few hard and fast rules but uw_nikon spelt out most of the advantages and disadvantages pretty well.

  4. HI,

    I agree with Paul it is what you like or should I say what you prefer. I have used both

    a trilaminate 2000 flex made by oceanic off the shelf with was fine to start with but a little

    tight on the arms with a thick undersuit for winter use. For the last year I have been using a

    O threes Ri 2.5mm neoprene which is a wonderful suit, which streches as you move & is very

    very comfortable yes it is a bit more expensive but it is a great suit. Also O threes do a semi

    made to measure which does not cost any thing, It is a off the shelf but with the arms & legs

    adjusted. So I would also add try a few on before you buy it can be a costly mistake.

    Andy ;):)

  5. It's worth having a trawl through the forum as this has been discussed a few times, as you'll see there are varying views, all valid, as it does come down to personal choice. My own two cents is the Britannic Drysuit, look through the web link at its benefits.

     

    The next decision will be a sleeve or cuff dump valve, again all of us will have our own valid reasons, again this has been discussed. If you go for a "trilaminate" type material you will need to think about a suitable insulating under-layer and again there are quite a few solutions.

     

    Have fun choosing, what do the divers use where you normally dive, what are their thoughts?

     

    All the best Peter

    Edited by PeterCatchpole
  6. I've owned all kinds. I'm on my 5th dry suit. I like regular neoprene suits best. I also think highly of the compressed neoprene suits.

     

    I would agree though that everyone's taste is different. Best to rent and dive several different suits.

  7. Shell - with the (high ish) water temp that you have you are wanting to have fine control of the insulation. We are drysuit year round here with water ranging between 7C and 18C.

     

    Peter is correct on the Otter - we have abused this product on a daily ( semi commercial ) basis and it stands up well.

     

    Personally I find the Britanic a bit stiff compared to the base (cheaper) Otter product.

     

    The only other consideration is the seals, again it is largely personal preference but I am happy with the heavy duty latex seals. With daily use you are looking at replacing a set of seals a season.

     

    Paul C

  8. I've had a MTM O'three suit for nearly 9 years now and the seals have only started leaking...I wear a weazle undersuit which is great and have dived for 75 mins in 5oc with a leak and didn't notice until the last 10 mins...

     

    The only thing is its now a bit snug..Not because I've turned fatty but because I have the shoulders of a WWF wrestler...!!!

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  9. Dean 9 years - you have done well, the seals on ours die of abuse - you are obviously much more careful with your gear !!!!

     

    Interesting re the undersuit - some people swear by the weazle and others do not - I could never afford one to try out.

     

    Our undersuits have a constant battle with leaky drysuits so they tend to go in the washing machine regularly which does them no favours at all.

     

    Paul C

  10. I've yet to dive in a "DRY" drysuit :) Prefer, fourth element underlayer, although after meeting Mrs Weezle at LIDS this year, would be very tempted to try out a weezle thermal layer ;)

     

    Agree about the Otter stiffness, though i did find after about 6 months and a couple hundred dives the material softened a tad.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.