Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Overlaying timecode in video using Final Cut Pro

Started by echeng ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Overlaying timecode in video using Final Cut Pro

5 posts
  1. Dearest Final Cut Pro / Compressor gurus! I have a question for you. Let's say I have a bunch of clips in a timeline. Is there any way to automatically overlay text from metadata values onto a video clip? Let's say I want to embed:

     

    1. a copyright overlay

    2. the clip name

    3. the timecode

     

    What would be ideal is to be able to overlay the text onto each clip and render out special, watermarked versions for layout in a timeline. #2 should source from metadata automatically.

     

    Right now, I am doing #1 and #2 by hand, and it's tiresome. I have no idea how to do #3, and some some old(er) film types tell me that they use some sort of hardware box to do it. That seems lame.

    Edited by echeng
  2. Eric,

     

    The anwer to your 3rd question is fortunately the easiest.

     

    In your Effects bin, select "Video" bin and choose the "Timecode Reader" filter. Drag this onto your clip, adjust the filter properties as desired then copy to all the clips. If you are using this a lot, adjust the filter as desired then save in your favorites Effects folder. Motion 3 will include Timecode overlay. See images below for current settings.

     

    For Copyright, I would use compressor. Drop in your video and apply your compression setting. In the "Effects" tab, select "Watermark" and choose a .tiff or similar for overlay. You can then save this a favorite and all clips using this setting will get the watermark. Compressor 3 will allow for motion watermarks. See image below for current settings.

     

    For clip name, I don't have a great answer. Best way i know is to use the "Text Overlay" option in Compress and copy past the clip name into the text field. Then size and position as needed. See images below for current settings.

     

    When Compressor 3 is released, you will be able to do all 3 in compressor, with just the clip name as manual. Perhaps someone knows how to code an apple script to interface wtih compressor 3 to generate the clip names?

    post-2224-1177470937_thumb.jpg

    post-2224-1177470952_thumb.jpg

    post-2224-1177470966_thumb.jpg

    post-2224-1177470979_thumb.jpg

  3. Thank you, Shawn! That is awesome. For some reason, this was a hard one to google search, and to search for in FCP documentation!

  4. I know. I discovered through trial and error. I can't wait for Compressor 3, it will make this clip creation task much easier.

  5. Eric,

    Probably the easiest way to overlay text or any other data would be simply to nest your timeline sequence. I believe the nest command should be under Modify. Now, no matter how many layers your sequence is made of, it will all appear to be one layer on the nested timeline. You can then place your timecode and data from beginning to end on video layer 2 and export out to compressor. Then just go from there.

    Steve B)

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.