I have noticed a move towards more complex equipment being advocated by certain quarters in the UK. The old days of single 60 cubic foot tank, wetsuit, a fw lbs of lead and minimal accessories are now a dim memory. Whilst this gladdens me in some ways (I prefer to be comfy rather than cold for example), there seems to be a distinct trend towards ever 'safer' more sophisticated gear. Now it appears that full face masks are becoming an 'in' thing which are apparently safer and offer communications options. Twin sets are far more common (although I personally prefer a 12 and a 3 as the 3 is truly a 'bail out') and wings are often fitted despite lacking any 'life jacket' attributes.
I am unconvinced that, except for very specific requirements, ever heavier, more advanced gear really does reduce risk (an 'in' word if ever there was one). I personally prefer to use straightforward, simple equipment (well relatively) which I know to be well tried and tested. As for comms systems, well Cousteau's 'silent world' is anything but that but I do quite like a bit of peace and quiet from the chatter above water.
Does anyone have views on whether a 'simple' set-up is safer than a 'complex' one, or any examples of overkill leading to problems, especially with full face masks and photography. I ask this as a serious question as in the UK's highly regulated diving industry, suggestions seen as potentially risk reducing have a habit of being adopted whether or not they actually do reduce risk (I suspect some practices actually increase risk but are perceived/considered to reduce it).