Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Prescription Mask or contacts part 2

Started by joeyfishes ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Prescription Mask or contacts part 2

13 posts
  1. is anyone doing this ? It seems strange to have one eye magnified and one not.

     

     

     

    Joe,

    What we do is use a mask that has lenses that can be removed and replace with diopters. We use a + diopter in one side and regular glass in the other. The brain takes over and creates stereopsis that is kind of like a varilux set of glasses, just going sideways instead of up and down. When I use my DSLR, I have the magnification on the left eye so that I can see straight through the viewfinder. We use a stronger diopter than what you would use for reading. I think I have a +2 or 2.5 and Jack uses a 3 or 3.5...Yeah we're getting older too. Check with your local dive shop to get these

     

     

     

    Thanks

     

    Joe

  2. This is nothing like a varilux lens. A varilux lens is a continuously changing trifocal.

     

    What your doing is monovision. Assuming that you are emmetropic ( no refractive error for distance). This sometimes doesn't work as well for glasses (or diopters in a mask) because the different lens powers send images of different magnification to the brain.

     

    Test have shown that you do get depth perception with monovision ( a source of much debate in research circles). Many peoples brain will suppress the central vision in the eye that is out of focus. The brain will merge the peripheral images to give you stereopsis.

  3. Well I'm a contact wearer... Not a big fan of prescription lenses on masks.

     

    But from one of the rare experiences I've had where I lost a contact (accidentally rubbing a eye too hard), I ended up having to finish the back nine on a golf course with only 1 contact. Initially my depth perception was totally out of whack, but by the end of the round, I started to get used to it (I wear -3/-3.25)

     

    A few beers along the way helped as well... ;)

  4. This is nothing like a varilux lens. A varilux lens is a continuously changing trifocal.

     

    What your doing is monovision. Assuming that you are emmetropic ( no refractive error for distance). This sometimes doesn't work as well for glasses (or diopters in a mask) because the different lens powers send images of different magnification to the brain.

     

    Test have shown that you do get depth perception with monovision ( a source of much debate in research circles). Many peoples brain will suppress the central vision in the eye that is out of focus. The brain will merge the peripheral images to give you stereopsis.

     

     

    Thanks Doc,

    I believe I am emmetropic. What would you suggest ?

     

    I am thinking of trying the stick on bifocals with more magnification on one side (+3 for the viewfinder controls etc)pushed up a little higher for easy viewing. And one with my regular reading magnification (+2)on the other side for gauges etc. Wondering if you know of any magnifiers that glue on ?

     

    Joe

  5. I have never used them but there use to be a company that made ones that you could glue into your mask. I suspect that one power of around +2.50 over your distance prescription would work for both.

     

    I use a bifocal contact lens that gives me close and near. I haven't had to try the high power suggested by others. I suspect they might be a little hyperopic. Meaning they need + power for distance viewing. If one was a +0.50 hyperope you might not need glasses to see far away but might need a +3 or +3.5 to see up close.

     

    I like divers to use either a custom bifocal prescription in their mask or daily disposable contact lenses if appropriate. They work better for monovision than a prescription in glasses or a mask.

     

    I usually carry my old gas mask inserts from the marines as a last ditch backup. You could do the same with a small pair of old glasses that will fit inside a mask. (without the temples attached). Don't' forget your duct tape.

  6. I have never used them but there use to be a company that made ones that you could glue into your mask. I suspect that one power of around +2.50 over your distance prescription would work for both.

     

    I use a bifocal contact lens that gives me close and near. I haven't had to try the high power suggested by others. I suspect they might be a little hyperopic. Meaning they need + power for distance viewing. If one was a +0.50 hyperope you might not need glasses to see far away but might need a +3 or +3.5 to see up close.

     

    I like divers to use either a custom bifocal prescription in their mask or daily disposable contact lenses if appropriate. They work better for monovision than a prescription in glasses or a mask.

     

    I usually carry my old gas mask inserts from the marines as a last ditch backup. You could do the same with a small pair of old glasses that will fit inside a mask. (without the temples attached). Don't' forget your duct tape.

     

    Thanks Doc,

    I broke down and went for an eye exam today. This is what they recomend for the dive mask. Distance and Close NOT CLOSE AND INTERMEDIATE???/. I would have guessed close and intermedate for shooting. What do you think?

     

     

    +1.25-.50 x 35

    add +2.00

    1.00-.75 X 160

     

     

     

    Joe

     

     

    PS great shots of the killer whales wow!!!!!!

    Edited by joeyfishes
  7. Take a look at these scuba specs they have a mount for your prescription lense inside the mask

     

    http://www.scubaspec.com

  8. If you only need a +2.00 add it will probably work for both near and intermediate. It's people that need a +2.50 add that need a trifocal.

     

    The scubaspec thing is the same idea as the gas mask inserts I described. Make sure there is room in your mask. Looks like a good idea I imagine they could do bifocals and trifocals

  9. If you only need a +2.00 add it will probably work for both near and intermediate. It's people that need a +2.50 add that need a trifocal.

     

    The scubaspec thing is the same idea as the gas mask inserts I described. Make sure there is room in your mask. Looks like a good idea I imagine they could do bifocals and trifocals

     

     

    Thanks for the info and advise!!!

     

     

    Joe

     

     

     

    PS I am thinking of just getting the sea vision+ 2 gauge readers as the expense of this is getting out of hand

  10. I tried the scubaspec type of insert once. I'm not sure if they were scubaspec brand. They were provided by a local optometrist who obviously had no idea what he was doing with underwater stuff. They were useless because the correction was totally in the wrong position in the mask.

  11. I tried the scubaspec type of insert once. I'm not sure if they were scubaspec brand. They were provided by a local optometrist who obviously had no idea what he was doing with underwater stuff. They were useless because the correction was totally in the wrong position in the mask.

     

     

    Thanks for the info. I think I am gonna go with seavision clear woth +2 readers

  12. Thanks for the info. I think I am gonna go with seavision clear woth +2 readers

     

     

    I've been using a Seavision mask with the +2.0 Gauge Readers for 2 years and I absolutely LOVE it. I also wear contacts (I wear progressive bifocals on the surface). I can see all those tiny little menu options on my Oly 5060 through the gauge reader portion of the lens and it absolutely does not interfere with my regular dive vision.

     

    good luck,

    John Pierce

    Edited by johnspierce
  13. I've been using a Seavision mask with the +2.0 Gauge Readers for 2 years and I absolutely LOVE it. I also wear contacts (I wear progressive bifocals on the surface). I can see all those tiny little menu options on my Oly 5060 through the gauge reader portion of the lens and it absolutely does not interfere with my regular dive vision.

     

    good luck,

    John Pierce

     

     

    sold!!! Thanks

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.