Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Selling on Ebay

Started by Lndr ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Selling on Ebay

11 posts
  1. I have decided to sell something on ebay, which is not the first time but this item is causing me grief already :P

     

    I am getting spam, and people joining ebay today and demanding to use escrow (which I know nothing about), and people accusing me of selling a fake because my listing doesn't have enough pictures :) I am not sure now its a good idea.

     

    Its an expensive watch (for me), though not as expensive as cameras I have bought this way ...

     

    Any advice on how not to get s****ed ?

    Edited by Lndr
  2. I have decided to sell something on ebay, which is not the first time but this item is causing me grief already :P

     

    I am getting spam, and people joining ebay today and demanding to use escrow (which I know nothing about), and people accusing me of selling a fake because my listing doesn't have enough pictures :) I am not sure now its a good idea.

     

    Its an expensive watch (for me), though not as expensive as cameras I have bought this way ...

     

    Any advice on how not to get s****ed ?

     

     

     

    I've sold a few things on eBay, but I'm certainly not an expert.

     

    For my sales, I only accepted PayPal. I got plenty of spam, especially from brand new members in China.

     

    The escrow folks are scammers. There's only one or two escrow services that eBay endorses (I'm sure because they own it).

     

    I put up 3 or 4 pictures with each auction just so folks would see what condition the items were in -- camera bodies.

     

    I'd certainly look carefully at anyone with a low feedback rating, or someone who just joined.

  3. Hi,

    1. Always list a few pictures. People are generally not willing to pay very much for an item they can't see.

    2. Before you sell something expensive, you might try selling a few other items and build a little feedback. Unless you have some feedback now with items you purchased. People generally don't like to bid on an expensive item from someone with no, or little, feedback.

    3. If you're really worried about payment you can select an option that says you only accept money orders or cashiers checks. State in your auction that item will ship when check has cleared your bank. This usually takes 3 days at most banks. Paypal is generally safe but I don't know what their ability is to debit your account if for some reason the buyer claims fraud.

    4. I've found that people usually don't bid on an item that has a high reserve however, if you've got very little feedback then you might want to consider a minimum selling price for the watch. Set the starting bid at that price.

    5. You can list in your auction that you will not sell to anyone with negative, or no, feedback. You can also cancel those bids during the auction. I had one guy with no feedback outbid a few people with lots of feedback for an item then he didn't pay. I relisted the item and it sold for a lot less than it would have if the deadbeat bidder had not been a part of the auction. So state you reserve the right to cancel bids and if you've got what appears to be a couple of good bidders that keep getting outbid by a person with no feedback, you can cancel that persons bid.

    6. Generally the biggest nuisance I've faced is a non-paying bidder. Ebay refunds the listing fees AFTER you re-list it and sell the item. Still kind of a pain and a waste of time.

    Overall, I've haven't gotten ripped off selling anything to date and have a general positive experience with buying and selling.

    Edited by ce4jesus
  4. I have decided to sell something on ebay, which is not the first time but this item is causing me grief already :P

     

    I am getting spam, and people joining ebay today and demanding to use escrow (which I know nothing about), and people accusing me of selling a fake because my listing doesn't have enough pictures :) I am not sure now its a good idea.

     

    Its an expensive watch (for me), though not as expensive as cameras I have bought this way ...

     

    Any advice on how not to get s****ed ?

     

    Hi

     

    FWIW I have sold a few 'high end' watches on eBay (UK) and have learnt a few things doing so!

     

    If you'd like to post a link to your item I'd be happy to offer up some thoughts/opinion/suggestions.......

     

    R

  5. My wife had a good experience selling on Amazon.

  6. If you'd like to post a link to your item I'd be happy to offer up some thoughts/opinion/suggestions....

    a link to my ebay item

    Edited by Lndr
  7. 5. You can list in your auction that you will not sell to anyone with negative, or no, feedback. You can also cancel those bids during the auction. I had one guy with no feedback outbid a few people with lots of feedback for an item then he didn't pay. I relisted the item and it sold for a lot less than it would have if the deadbeat bidder had not been a part of the auction. So state you reserve the right to cancel bids and if you've got what appears to be a couple of good bidders that keep getting outbid by a person with no feedback, you can cancel that persons bid.

    6. Generally the biggest nuisance I've faced is a non-paying bidder. Ebay refunds the listing fees AFTER you re-list it and sell the item. Still kind of a pain and a waste of time.

    Overall, I've haven't gotten ripped off selling anything to date and have a general positive experience with buying and selling.

     

    I think I have the first few covered B)

     

    There are no bids on the item, but several watchers I have been answering questions from 10 people. My main thing (now the spam and crap has been blocked) is how much concern to have with people insisting on a pickup. I mean I understand people don't want to be ripped off for a fake watch, but I don't want to take risks either. A lot of the people have been rather agressive in their communication style, which doesn't help the feeling :)

  8. I sold a lot of my old camera gear on EBay, while switching to digital. I am not keen on pick-up, but it does save you the hassle and cost of shipping (sometimes shipping has cost more than the postal website estimated). However, with shipping, (given that it is insured; insist upon it), you have proof that the item was sent in case of dispute. You might want to insist on cash in that case, but I prefer a paper trail via Paypal. It costs a bit more, but I feel a little safer that way. There are a few countries that you want to beware of shipping to...just look at a few ads in high priced electronics to figure it out, as I don't wish to hurt anyone's feeling's about their country's EBay reputation.

    Good luck,

    Marli

  9. My advice is that obviously a watch that expensive the shipping is very nominal. I always try and end the question with a positive answer. IE..use the buy it now and I'll ship it free. Or, if you're inclined to do so just tell them LOCAL shipping is free. They obviously are close enough to where that shouldn't run you too much.

  10. well, its done now. sold B)

     

    we'll see how it goes :)

  11.  

    Sorry; just got back on-line........ :)

     

    FWIW here is one of mine on eBay here

     

    I have found that this style of advert works well; full description, pics and the 'rules' are the result of some experience!

     

    Glad you got your sale, good luck on the completion!

     

    R

    Edited by ralphy
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.