I am a beginner using CP5000 and Sea&Sea YS90DX can anybody advise me on how to set the camera to use TTL ![]()
Thanks.
Read-only discussion
I am a beginner using CP5000 and Sea&Sea YS90DX can anybody advise me on how to set the camera to use TTL ![]()
Thanks.
What housing have you got for the CP5000?
I did not like the results I got with TTL with the Aquatica housing. It had absolutely nothing to do with the housing, just was much happier with the results of manual shots.
ReyeR: I am using aquatica housing...any dependancy on the housing?
I noticed that my strobe flashed too late, what is the max shutter speed that I should use so that it can catch the flash?
TTL shouldn't have any dependencies on the housing. I only asked the housing question to find out the method you were using to sync the the YS-90 to the CP5000.
I often use my DS125 in TTL mode when shooting macro with the CP5000. If I don't use TTL then I'll set the strobe to 1/4 or 1/8 power.
Some tips for camera settings when using the strobe in TTL mode:
- Dial the speedlight output to -2 in the camera settings
- Set the camera to ISO 100
- Ensure your macro function is on (Don't ask how many times I've forgotten that one
)
- Select shutter speed from 1/250 to 1/1000. I generally start on 1/500 and then see what the results are like then I'll increase or decrease shutter speed. It will depend on the brightness/reflectivity of your subject.
- Set your aperture to F8
- Position the strobe above the camera and at least 1 foot away from the subject. If it is overexposed move the strobe further back or decrease strobe output manually.
The above is pretty much all I do when shooting macro with TTL. ![]()
Thanks Dave. I will give it a try. One question: when the shutter speed is at 1/500 or 1/1000 will it actually flashes at the same time as the camera captures the image?
In short Yes. The camera and strobe synchronise at the same time so that the light is captured. I haven't has a problem yet.
Hi Dave, good to see you on this board (from Diveoz). Are you using the sync cord or the TTL remote sensor to drive the DS-125?
Hi ReyeR,
My DS125 is connected via the sync cord. I'm about to purchase a 2nd DS125 but following some good advice I'm going to rig the 2nd strobe with a slave sensor to fire off the other strobe. I'm also going to buy a manual controller for the first strobe as well. I'm doing this while the Aussie $$ is strong against the US, about the only upside to the Iraq crisis.
There's not much info on DiveOz for digital photography, I've found the wetpixel forums to be a million times more useful! ![]()
cheers.
I'm doing this while the Aussie $$ is strong..
Good plan matey, it's about time the Aussie peso was worth something!
I'm going to rig the 2nd strobe with a slave sensor to fire off the other strobe
Is that the TTL sensor(#4100.5 ) or manual controller(4100.6)?
Are you going to drive the manual conroller using the sync cord or the sensor?
There's not much info on DiveOz for digital photography
Yeah I know - I only drop in once a week now. I usually scan across wp, digtitaldiver.net and scubaboard.com - heaps of good stuff.
:ph34r: p.s. my apologies to dolphine, I'm not trying to hijack this, being an Oly user I'd like to find out about how comparable systems are hooked up, the CP5000 being one of them.
Dave, is it because of the speedlight option so the flash can sync with the camera? sorry for this stupid question: what if I just select external flash?
Dial the speedlight output to -2 in the camera settingswhat is the difference if I set this to 0, do you have shots that were taken with different speedlight output?
ReyeR: don't worry.
I'm not Dave, but I play him on TV.
The reason you have to dial in 2 stops of negative flash compensation is to account for the fact that the TTL sensor is not actually inside the lens, it's beside it.
Not as much light hits the sensor as it should, so the camera doesn't think the flash is "powerful" enough - so it bumps it's output. The negative flash compensation fixes this nicely.
All cameras have quirks like this - you have to talk to other photogs to learn about them.
HTH
James
Also Check out the thread Aquatica A5000 Tips. If you have a question regarding one of the tip please don't post it on that thread.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.