Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Anyone taken any decent pictures with a Canon Powershot A620

Started by Stig_of_the_dump ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone taken any decent pictures with a Canon Powershot A620

11 posts
  1. I bought a Canon Powershot A620 with a view to getting a housing.

     

    However, it turns out that the Fuji F30 is turning heads - because of its ability to take shots in low light? (which I'm guessing is because it can mimic a high ISO number, which I'm assuming leads to a grainier image?).

     

    I've seen some images that are reputed to have been taken with an F30 and they are stunning - obviously the photographer takes the lion's share of the credit.

     

    My question is whether I should 'trade in' my A620 for an F30 before I start investing in a housing? Has anyone used an A620 and have you been happy with the results?

     

    Any help/advice would be appreciated.

     

    Thanks.

     

    P.S. I have no complaints about the A620 topside. One of the reasons I got it was it has a short shutter delay, which I thought would be important when it comes to catching fish before they dart out of the frame.

  2. I don't know well the Fuji but it seems there is one drawback with this model, it's limited manual controls, its maybe not very important at start but will limit you in the future.

  3. Just my 2 cents worth here. Once you figure things out you will be able to get good quality images with your A620. Go to my Zenfolio page and look at our Cayman Aggressor 06 album. Almost all photos were taken with a Canon S410. No manual controls, no raw, on auto white balance etc... The results led me to my current camera which I've added a strobe and wet lenses. With the A620 I believe you would have manual control so you would have some adjustments I don't.

     

    Good luck!

     

    Jeff

  4. Anyone using the Canon S50 with much luck?

  5. Anyone using the Canon S50 with much luck?

    I used the Canon S50 and S30 (almost same camera less resolution) fro two years.

    It's was nice camera for the time, especially true for the S30, the S50 is quit disappointed and I used it only since i already had the housing from the S30.

    Its has a good optics, full manual and semi manual controls, the big dis advance of it is the not so good macro capabilities and the shooter lag that is much too long then the more moderns models.

  6. Just my 2 cents worth here. Once you figure things out you will be able to get good quality images with your A620. Go to my Zenfolio page and look at our Cayman Aggressor 06 album. Almost all photos were taken with a Canon S410. No manual controls, no raw, on auto white balance etc... The results led me to my current camera which I've added a strobe and wet lenses. With the A620 I believe you would have manual control so you would have some adjustments I don't.

     

    Good luck!

     

    Jeff

     

    Thanks for the reassuring post Jeff.

     

    I'm impressed with your images :)

     

    I think I'll persevere and get a housing for my A620. I've played with the camera quite a bit in the dry and am learning how to get the best out of it so it'll be interesting to see how much of this I can replicate underwater.

     

    Thanks again.

  7. i have the A610 and think it is a great camera. I often just set it to underwater mode for rentals and people bring back some great stuff. It has full manual controls as well as manual WB, i don't think the Fuji offers all of that. That would be frustrating to me.

     

    I say stick with the 620

  8. i have the A610 and think it is a great camera. I often just set it to underwater mode for rentals and people bring back some great stuff. It has full manual controls as well as manual WB, i don't think the Fuji offers all of that. That would be frustrating to me.

     

    I say stick with the 620

    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

  9. Stig, Thanks for the compliment. Having been on numerous trips with large "kits" and initially using a PowerShot as a back-up I decided the results were as good as I needed and a lot easier to travel with. Glad your sticking with the PS.

     

    Jeff

  10. Hope I'm not too late.

     

    my advice is dont get the Canon housing for A620. Reason is very simple, there aint any accessories (underwater related) for that housing. I have got the canon housing and I am regretting it big time cos i cant get any macro lens for it :D

  11. True enough. Some of the PowerShot housings have oval type ports and don't accept ad on lenses. Good thing is most PowerShots have acceptable if not good macro without an add on lens. PowerShots will certainly improve more with the addition of an external strobe before external lenses.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.