Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

3 CCD vs CMOS, Spearfising & Surfing

Started by EBP ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

3 CCD vs CMOS, Spearfising & Surfing

2 posts
  1. I will be buying both the HC7 (single chip, 1081 i) and the Sony V1U CMOS to shoot surfing and free diving. Both will have housings but I need the V1U for it's audio for wireless mic's.

     

    In Post Production, I was told that I can transfer the HC7 footage into 30p with deinterlacing (I will be shooting the V1U at 30p)

     

    With deinterlacing, is it possible to make this transfer from 60i to 30p look good ? (I will need to make all footage match up at the HC7 is 60i and the V1U will be shot in 30p)

     

    Will the footage look ok, or will it be very easy to see that there is a quality difference between the two?

     

    I was told that CMOS is better for fast moving images over a 3ccd, is this true?

     

     

    p.s., I wish there was a small camera around the size of the HC7 that shot in 30p and was a 3chip. Maybe the new RED pocket camera will satisfy this wish.

     

    Thank you.

  2. Erik

    I answered your questions in the other thread you started. The thing about CMOS you have to watch for is the rolling shutter effect. This effect results from the rolling shutter moving as the sensor is in mid scan/capture. This only happens at very high shutter speeds so if you are careful not to use too high a shutter speed for your slo-mo sequences, you should be ok.

    Why are you so convinced that 30P is the way to shoot?

    The HC7 image has less resolution than the V1, deinterlacing, however advanced will just accentuate that fact to an experienced eye. However, non-pros won't notice a difference if your shot is beautiful enough. :)

    Edited by Drew
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.