Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Cowry ID

Started by Lndr ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Cowry ID

5 posts
  1. Can anyone ID this cowry seen on some Dendronephthya soft coral.

    Photographed on a night dive in Port Stephens, depth around 12m.

    cheers

    Leander

    post-1321-1178854167_thumb.jpg

  2. I'll pass it on to one of our mollusc experts here at the museum. Was the mantle fully extended?

  3. I'll pass it on to one of our mollusc experts here at the museum. Was the mantle fully extended?

     

    Thanks Leslie,

     

    The mantle is fully covering the shell in this shot. The little white dots were raised lumps in the otherwise clear mantle. I forgot to mention the size - around the 10 - 15mm mark.

     

    cheers

    Leander

  4. This species is apparently Diminovula punctata, Richard Willan from the NT Museum mentioned to me he had collected specimens from NB previously.

     

    I have seen it several times this summer.

     

    cheers,

    Dave

  5. Thanks Dave

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.