Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

I dont even know how to describe it...

Started by Islandbound ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

I dont even know how to describe it...

3 posts
  1. I had just jumped into the water and had swam over to my favorite crevice where two lionfish live and saw this! I couldnt get a body photo as the tendril is extending from down an underlying crevice/cave where I know Scorpionfish/Rockfish live aplenty and didnt want to feel around. The tendril extended easily 16 to 20 inches down to the seafloor and two long prehensile "tongues" were feeling around through the detritus. The "tongues" almost appear to have suckers or something else on their bottom. I was on my way out to some clownfish colonies so I didnt stay around to take any more photos. Anyway, does anyone know what this is?

     

    2605453120100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

  2. That's interesting. It's the proboscis of an bonellid echiuran. Translation: the "tongue" of a spoonworm. :rolleyes: These soft bodied animals lives in crevices or burrows and extend the proboscis out to gather detritus & organic bits off the body. Rows of fine hairs called cilia on the surface of the proboscic function as a conveyor belt to bring the food back to the mouth which is safely hidden away. The interesting bit to me is that I've never seen a picture of one that wasn't green.

    Edited by Leslie
  3. Wow, your good! Thanks for the update. I went back out today to see if I could find it but the Lionfish were back and this thing wasnt out.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.