Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Nudibranch ID

Started by Lndr ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nudibranch ID

4 posts
  1. This one was so small it felt impossible to get a shot of :rolleyes:

    (this image is a serious crop)

     

    post-1321-1178946263_thumb.jpg

     

    At first glance I thought it would just be a juvenile 'branch (like Chromodoris epicuria) then I saw this extra bit.

    (Please excuse the lack of sharpness, this is actual pixels from a 12MP image :) )

     

    post-1321-1178946106_thumb.jpg

     

    ... so I went back to the shots I took and found one with a better angle on the head.

     

    post-1321-1178946401_thumb.jpg

     

    It was on a bryzoan, Orthoscuticella ventricosa, in around 30m depth, Jervis Bay.

     

    Any ideas appreciated :blink:

    Leander

  2. Leander, I love the fact you're going after all this micro stuff. :rolleyes:

     

    It's a dorid in family Goniodorididae, isn't it? Do you think it was feeding on the bryo? Rather than click on every goniodorid on the Sea Slug Forum I did a quick search for Orthoscuticella to see if that would lead to the branch id. Dead end - a couple of Janolus species feed on another species of Orthoscuticella but nothing's listed as feeding on O.ventricosa. Definitely one to send Bill for his opinion.

  3. Leander, I love the fact you're going after all this micro stuff. :blink:

    Its so fascinating! I can't help it :rolleyes::)

     

    It's a dorid in family Goniodorididae, isn't it? Do you think it was feeding on the bryo? Rather than click on every goniodorid on the Sea Slug Forum I did a quick search for Orthoscuticella to see if that would lead to the branch id. Dead end - a couple of Janolus species feed on another species of Orthoscuticella but nothing's listed as feeding on O.ventricosa.

    It was moving a bit quick to be feeding IMHO. But thats just from seeing other nudis when the are scoffing :guiness:

     

    Speaking of feeding nudis I got this Nembrotha having a great feast ... its well known to love ascidians, but it made me think of a kid with a lollypop as big as itself :o

     

    Maybe this is Gonodoris sp. 1 perhaps?

     

     

    Definitely one to send Bill for his opinion.

    I don't usually get an answer ... that's why posting them here is so much more fun & interesting!

    Edited by Lndr
  4. Gonodoris sp 1? Sounds good. Color's a little off but with only 2 animals found we don't know how variable it is. The other Gonodoris are ascidian feeders so my search was doomed from the beginning.... glad you did better.

     

    Great picture - the colors in that beast are just saturated. Imagine wearing an outfit like that!

     

    I've noticed that behavior shots, feeding reports, & nudis from under-documented parts of the world get up faster on SSF than straight requests for id.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.