Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Mind boggeling decisions need your help!!!

Started by Swissman24 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Mind boggeling decisions need your help!!!

4 posts
  1. Hi @ all,

    First of all great forum with tons of info. So much info that my head is about to explode! :)

    Ok here is the situation:

    I have about $2500-$3000 I can spend on some new eq. Since I am going to Kapalai for 2 weeks in August I thought it would be nice to make some nice (uw)pics there.

    I would say I am a fairly good overwater photographer and currently I am running around with a Canon 350D! Now my thoughts were that I keep this cam for underwater and buy a 30D for above water for the beginning. So basically I need a good housing for my 350D. Since I tend to slight overkill but also caution I would prefer something nearly pro or near to it. As far as I have read I need the housing, flashes and some domes. My current lens collection consists of 17-40L, 28-75, 100-400L(probably not good uw:) ) 100mm seems to be a good choice too from what I have been reading.

    Ok so now you know what I have. What do I get now? Cases I have been looking at are Ikelite(ugly), Sea&Sea(but hear the customer service isnt that good). Those are the ones that have cases for the 350D. "Worst" case I put a new 30D in a Subal, Nexus or Seacam case.

    To be honest I am tending towards the Ikelite case which supposedly supports ettl with its strobes. I like the Sea&Sea cases and they dont seem to be bad from what I read. Their flashes also seem to be great.

    And now the big question: What combo should I get???

    The other option would be to get a Canon G7 and put it in a Ikelite housing. Then get some decent flashes and later purchase a decent housing for the 350D. From what I have been reading the G7 is a great compact for above and below water. What to do, what to do.

    BTW 350D = Digital Rebel XT :):lol:

    So now I would greatly appreciate any input from you pro's or coming to be pro's!!! :P

    KR

    David

    Edited by Swissman24
  2. Hi @all,

    Still hoping to get some answers to my questions but also wanted to give you all an update. I purchased the G7 so now the main question what flash combo to get with the ikelite housing?? Ok I havent bought the ikelite housing but it seems to be better than the canon housing so that will be the one I will get.

    Hope to get some help! :)

     

    Kind Regards,

    David

  3. Hi @all,

    Still hoping to get some answers to my questions but also wanted to give you all an update. I purchased the G7 so now the main question what flash combo to get with the ikelite housing?? Ok I havent bought the ikelite housing but it seems to be better than the canon housing so that will be the one I will get.

    Hope to get some help! :)

     

    Kind Regards,

    David

     

    David,

     

    Get the Ikelite DS-125 strobes to go with your Ikelite housing.

  4. I have the DS-51 (single) and it works very well for up close, for WA the Underwater mode does a fantastic job. After experimenting the other day with the Underwater mode I am also convinced the camera was focusing siginifcantly quicker. I dont have any numbers/evidence to back this up other than how quick it kept focusing compared to what I expected. I found the same quick autofocus seemed to work on land last night when I was practicing taking photos at home.

     

    Almost all of the photos in the album http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558982663uaDCTJ were taken this month with a G7/Ikelight with the balance taken with a Sony N2.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.