Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Camera shopping in KL

Started by Lndr ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Camera shopping in KL

9 posts
  1. Am spending a day in KL waiting for a plane on the way to Male.

     

    Just wondering if there is a good camera store for picking up a lens.

     

    Also are the prices in KL for camera stuff average / good / great? I was thinking there should at least be better prices than here :) Last year I bought a D200 body in KK last year and saved about 600 AUD, but that was impulse shopping :)

     

    cheers

    Leander

  2. I was just at a camera store here in Japan and their D200 body was about 82000 yen. I dont know what that is in AUD...?

  3. Am spending a day in KL waiting for a plane on the way to Male.

     

    Just wondering if there is a good camera store for picking up a lens.

     

    Also are the prices in KL for camera stuff average / good / great? I was thinking there should at least be better prices than here :) Last year I bought a D200 body in KK last year and saved about 600 AUD, but that was impulse shopping :)

     

    cheers

    Leander

     

    Check out this forum for ideas on where to shop for camera in KL.

     

    Photokaki

     

    KeyColour in Midvalley shopping mall is good. There are quite a few camerashops in Midvalley itself so do look around and bargain!!..

     

    For lenses n accessories, check out YL Camera in Pudu Plaza.

     

    HAPPY SHOPPING...:lol:

    Edited by Spazm
  4. I'm assuming you're looking at Nikon lenses? Check out the Nikon Malaysia website www.nikon.com.my to get an idea of what you'd expect to pay (in Ringgit) for the lenses on this side of the globe. Of course, prices will vary from store to store, but only a little, and the prices on the website will probably be the ceiling prices on all products.

     

    Tip: Display prices are almost always marked up. So ask the sales rep for 'Best Price' or 'After Discount Price' on the displayed product(s). Otherwise, you'd be paying more than you should. Don't worry, it's normal practice here in Malaysia. They can even throw in a few extras if you are good at negotiating!

  5. I would like to get Sigma 17-70 - though I haven't done my homework properly yet :)

     

    I am considering a Nikon 105 VR, but have been put off as its pretty expensive here and not really suited to my regular diving here in JB.

     

    The nikon.com.my web has the 105 for about $1200 AUD. An aussie web place has them for $1370 AUD. RRP is around $1450

     

    The 17-70 Sigma is $462 AUD on the web in Australia (not a comprehensive search)

     

    Will Midvalley or Pudu Plaza be easy to find for someone who has never been to KL before :) Also thinking Matt won't be keen on being dragged around camera shops ALL day :) (afterall, he's just got his new P5000 to play with :) )

     

    cheers

    Leander

  6. I would like to get Sigma 17-70 - though I haven't done my homework properly yet ;)

     

    I am considering a Nikon 105 VR, but have been put off as its pretty expensive here and not really suited to my regular diving here in JB.

     

    The nikon.com.my web has the 105 for about $1200 AUD. An aussie web place has them for $1370 AUD. RRP is around $1450

     

    The 17-70 Sigma is $462 AUD on the web in Australia (not a comprehensive search)

     

    Will Midvalley or Pudu Plaza be easy to find for someone who has never been to KL before ;) Also thinking Matt won't be keen on being dragged around camera shops ALL day :D (afterall, he's just got his new P5000 to play with :) )

     

    cheers

    Leander

     

    Sorry..kinda late to reply to your question right now..:(....if you are in KL...do PM me...and we will see what I can do to help out..:)

     

    Cheers..

     

    Spazm

  7. Sorry..kinda late to reply to your question right now..;)....if you are in KL...do PM me...and we will see what I can do to help out..:)

     

    Cheers..

     

    Spazm

     

    Not too late - we'll be there in two weeks. I have narrowed down my wishlist to a Nikkor 105 VR and/or a Sigma 10-20 ... ;)

  8. I'm in KL and SIN twice a year or so. We have to pick up incidental electronical and camera stuff all the time so I'm always "comparison shopping" pricewise.

     

    The quick answer is I have yet to see any significant savings (referencing US prices) when shopping from reputable sources in KL or SIN. Don't know how that references AUD, though.

     

    If I had to buy something pricy it would be in Langkawi - no tax.

     

    All the best, James

    Edited by fdog
  9. The quick answer is I have yet to see any significant savings (referencing US prices) when shopping from reputable sources in KL or SIN. Don't know how that references AUD, though.

     

    The Nikon Malaysia RRP for the 105 is nearly 20% saving off the cheapest price I've seen and 30& off RRP. US prices are cheaper than here, but then have to factor 5% import duty, 10% tax, and shipping. For me its also timing.

     

    We only have a day in KL as we are on the way through to Male.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.