Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can we show this kinda stuff,

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Can we show this kinda stuff,

10 posts
  1. That tricked ya.

     

    Anyway whilst you are here why not check out one of my latest edits. Not as bonkers as the last effort but this one is actually a commission from a UK based 'techno' music group. They seem to like it seeing as it was a mad rush to get it done (due to the release date of the track and my impending Indo trip). Personally I wish I had more time on it to be able to have been more cut specific, but there you have it.

     

    The track is an mp4 file weighing in at 29MB and requires Quick Time or any suitable mp4 compliant viewing program.

     

    Sit down, relax and enjoy -

     

    Above and Beyond presents Tranquility Base - 'Oceanic'

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  2. its out now? sweet...

     

     

    let me start the download, i will report back on it tomorrow... :)

  3. hahaha, with that connection there I could understand if you said next week. You now got Micronesian DSL or what?

     

    How was the wind? Heard it turned? All safe?

     

    Cheers,

    Mark

  4. Very Cool, Mark!!

     

    Loved the blend modes and good choice of forms.

     

    Especially liked the later segment with the fish eyes.

     

    Thank you for posting!!

     

    Mary Lynn

  5. I kind of wished the black splodges would get out of the way of the lovely footage, but that's me sitting in the office at midday. If I was tripping my t**s off at a club they'd probably do it for me. Could you have made them a bit translucent or varying in colour?

     

    Would have been nice for a slowdown and then something dramatic to happen at 3:20 to match the music where the beat kicks in. That's the key point of the track.

     

    I like the flashy reddish squirls.

  6. Thanks Mary Lynn,

    Only four days to really get the final done so it was rushed a bit. I may be taking that same track and redoing an edit with a storyline, short film and less frenetic on the fx. Same run time and if all goes well will be a short for later festival submissions. I'm also putting some other shorts together of the 'normal' kind so once they are done lets chat regarding podcasts etc. Still a ways off as I'm going off to Indo for 6 weeks at the end of the month.

     

    I hear thru the grapevine that we'll be meeting later in the year! You're on the Palau trip in September a little birdie tells me?

     

    Maybe see you then.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  7. I hear thru the grapevine that we'll be meeting later in the year! You're on the Palau trip in September a little birdie tells me?

    Hey Mark,

     

    You heard right! Chuck Nicklin's 80th Birthday celebration trip. Lot of interesting folks on that trip--and finally getting to meet you in person! Should be really cool!!

     

    And as for the editing, I like the more frenetic feel that goes with the score. Was even wondering how a little additional jitter effect occasionally might work. But then again not everyone appreciates that kind of edginess as much.... (Did I ever send you the link to one of my *other* vids? It's in a Flash player that I hope you can access.)

     

    Looking very much forward to September!!

     

    Mary Lynn

  8. Hey Mark,

    Like the splotch effects, how did you do them? You would have had to create them with an alpha channel somehow, might be fun for me to get in the NLE and figure it out. Nah....tell me instead. ;-) Personally, not my kind of music but it all fits.

    Steve B)

  9. Hi Steve,

    The splodges are taken from Motion. In the Content folder of the library (I think).

     

    Here's the low down:

     

    I took 10 minutes of clips and accelerated it to almost match the song duration of 6min 22sec. I then re-spliced the in and out points as speeding up like this can leave almost like transitional frames between different scenes, and re trimmed the interface frames between scenes hence the reason for not speeding up to match exactly the time run of the soundtrack.

     

    Once I had the audio fitting I then just played with the individual clips. Mainly by adjusting their HSL qualities, their sharpness and color. There is also a slight evidence of a canvas texture which I created in PS and then set to V2 on an initial edit and reduced the opacity until it was just detectable.

     

    Exported the whole thing out to Motion and sourced the Earthquake and Strobing filters. Took it back into FCP and then put the main track on V1, the Lightning flashes on V2 and adjusted their composite mode to 'Difference' and then sourced the Blue water like surface from the Liquid category of Textiles in Livetype to V3 and set that as composite mode Overlay. Rendered the whole thing out and voila.......

     

    Quick crash course in crazy banana editing techniques.

     

    Cheers all for the kind words.

     

    Best,

    Mark.

  10. Wacko :)

    I think I need to be at a nightclub to fully enjoy it :)

    Cool dude.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.