Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

3 Crab species from North Sulawesi

Started by Dave H ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

3 Crab species from North Sulawesi

2 posts
  1. okay, here are 3 crab species from Lembeh in North Sulawesi that I'm struggling to ID. I have searched through Debelius (Crustacea Guide of the World) and some other reference books and either I'm blind or they are not in there!

     

    crab.jpg

     

    crab1.jpg

     

     

    yep, it's a Hermit crab - I'd really like to know which species it is! :) It looks to be a Dardanus species.

    crab2.jpg

  2. I need my books too but they live at home & I live at work these days. So more guesses.....

     

    First one is a cute little portunid, possibly a Charybdis.

     

    Second is a sponge carrier crab, family Dromiidae. It's missing it's sponge - that's why you didn't recognize it I bet.

     

    Third does look like some images of Dardanus lagopodes but it lacks the dark spots on the legs (see the image on the Marianas biodiversity site www.flmnh.ufl.edu). Incidentally, I noticed you have a Dardanus lagopodes on one of your websites which has red legs with white bands at the joints; it looks identical to some labelled Dardanus crassimanus on japanese sites. Sorry, I guess this was more of an "un-identification" and not very helpful.....

    Edited by Leslie

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.