Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

3 Shrimp species from Lembeh - Sulawesi

Started by Dave H ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

3 Shrimp species from Lembeh - Sulawesi

3 posts
  1. and this is the last lot of head scratching for the week. Below are 3 shrimp species that I am hoping I can get some ID's confirmed.

     

    This species looks similar to Periclimenes tenuipes that is illustrated in the Debelius guide:

    shrimp1.jpg

     

    The next two images I believe could be Periclimenes kororensis

    shrimp2.jpg

     

    shrimp3.jpg

     

    This species looks very similar to Periclimenes holthusi but I'm not conivnced if this is the correct ID. It also looks similar to the species I posted in this link:

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18769

     

    shrimp4.jpg

  2. I wonder about that first one. All the P. tenuipes pics I've seen show blue elbow bands & brown claws; this one has brown elbow bands & although the claws don't really show it looks as if they're blue. There are several of these long-armed free living ones. The second one, well, I've seen just one similiar one posted on a japanese website with the name Periclimenes ornatus but it (and this) aren't like any other P. ornatus. So ??? Last one matches P. venustus on www.edge-of-reef which I'm told is a reliable site. P. venustus, P. saravasti, P. tosaensis, P. holthuisi are part of a group of similar looking species that have colored saddles on the hump,

  3. Dave -- feeling insecure about my ids even with all the "looks like", "maybe" "sorta kinda" phrases, I asked Sammy DeGrave to check these out. His reply:

     

    "The one you got down as Periclimenes tenuipes is not tenuipes proper, but there are (as usual) several more species in that long-arm complex, whilst the photo is not clear enough to exclude some Palaemonella nor Kemponia. I would guess P. close to tenuipes though, based on the bands on the arms, but probably undescribed.

     

    P.ornatus that would be correct I think.

     

    The one from the holthuisi group is not svarasati, nor any of the other recently described ones, seems highly likely to be a new species.

     

    Specimens would be soooo useful." (He's a taxonomist; we always want specimens)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.