Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Worm, think we have had it before?

Started by Alex_Mustard ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Worm, think we have had it before?

8 posts
  1. Photographed this today in Mabul, Borneo, Malaysia. I think we have had it on here before, I am trusting in Leslie to tell me what it is and make me appreciate it more!

     

    post-713-1179483451_thumb.jpg

     

    Thanks,

     

    Alex

  2. Hey Alex,

     

    I only know its a worm because Leslie ID'd it for me :)

    Edited by Lndr
  3. When I was taking the picture I was sure I had seen it on wetpixel before.

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  4. OOu, nice, that's a really well developed tube. Sure wish I had one (or several) to play with. As far as I know worms in only 2 families make these open fans at the end of their tubes. One is the maldanid genus Praxillura (P. maculata, the NEP "windmill" worm - it's been posted here before) and the other is the terebellid Lanice. There are others that make branching structures but not as regular as these.

     

    Both Praxillura & Lanice spread mucus threads over the rays of the fan which catch food particles floating by. Lanice uses its tentacles to spread the threads & gather the food. Praxillura which lacks tentacles has to crawl partway out of the tube to eat the food-covered threads.

     

    So which one is it? Don't know. I told Leander it was Lanice but really, without some evidence or a body I can't be sure. The fan structure is unique. All the other Praxillura & Lanice that I know of have rays that attach all the way around the tube or on both sides of it. This one, attaching only on a single stem, is new to me. Unfortunately 95% of my books & reprints are sealed up while my office undergoes renovation. Did either of you see tentacles or anything else moving about?

  5. Did either of you see tentacles or anything else moving about?

     

    I have a photo of what I think is the worm out feeding. I'll find it and post B)

     

    It seemed like a mucus-y film was spread over the rays ... but I'm sure you will interpret it better!

     

    Coffee first though :)

  6. ** WARNING - The following content is for the seriously worm addicted only **

     

    :):):)

     

    OK here is the worm which appeared to be out feeding

     

    post-1321-1179560160_thumb.jpg

     

    looking closely (on the PC) at it what I thought was the animal underwater seems only to be mucus :)

     

    post-1321-1179560355_thumb.jpg

     

    lots of accumulated shells and stuff

     

    post-1321-1179560400_thumb.jpg

     

    then there is this ting, red, stripey wormish thing ...

     

    post-1321-1179560434_thumb.jpg

     

    idea : go back to the very first frame ...

     

    post-1321-1179560477_thumb.jpg

     

    :)

     

    whatd'ya reckon Leslie - is that the beastie :)

    Edited by Lndr
  7. :) That's a different worm! Take a look at your & Alex's earlier pics. See how the rays come down to one thin attachment point? This one has the rays coming off 2 enlarged lobes at the tube mouth. This is is definitely a Lanice as the shape of the lobes & rays is very characteristic. The red stripey thing could be a tentacle but if it's the same thing in the last shot then it's a bit of filamentous red algae in the genus Ceramium (or something similar). Lanice is a terebellid.

     

    Nice try! :)

  8. :) That's a different worm! Take a look at your & Alex's earlier pics. See how the rays come down to one thin attachment point? This one has the rays coming off 2 enlarged lobes at the tube mouth.

     

    Sure, now u mention it :) I thought the lobes were just debris in the mucus ... :)

     

    The red stripey thing could be a tentacle but if it's the same thing in the last shot then it's a bit of filamentous red algae in the genus Ceramium (or something similar). Lanice is a terebellid.

     

    I was hoping it was a feeding tenticle :)

     

    :)

    Leander

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.