Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Need a good workflow system

Started by jarhed ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Need a good workflow system

4 posts
  1. I've been shooting U/W seriously for about a year now and still not developed a good consistant workflow system. My files are piling up on random hard drives with random labels and I'm not sure how to best sort, edit and file them. The more I shoot, the worse it gets.

     

    Can anyone point me to a reference or share some detaily of their system from start to finish with me?

     

    I use:

    D200 (always shoot RAW + JPG)

    Windows Vista w/ new high speed laptop

    Adobe PS CS3

    Adobe Lightroom

     

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    John

  2. I've been shooting U/W seriously for about a year now and still not developed a good consistant workflow system. My files are piling up on random hard drives with random labels and I'm not sure how to best sort, edit and file them. The more I shoot, the worse it gets.

     

    Can anyone point me to a reference or share some detaily of their system from start to finish with me?

     

    I use:

    D200 (always shoot RAW + JPG)

    Windows Vista w/ new high speed laptop

    Adobe PS CS3

    Adobe Lightroom

     

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    John

     

    Hi John,

    Looks like you've got the tools for an excellent workflow system minus one component. I'd suggest picking up Scott Kelby's "Photoshop Lightroom for Digital Photographers". Scott's book reorganized my workflow into something more consistant and reliable.

     

    When I finish a shoot (above or underwater) I:

    1. Use lightroom to import & backup the files from the CF card to the internal laptop drive and backup to a portable hard drive and adding the photoshoot site information to the meta keywords.

    2. I go through that shoot in lightroom, flagging keepers and rejects and rating the really really good photos.

    3. Purge the rejects.

    4. Go back through and rate the rest of the images.

    5. Filter by rating, and make any lightroom adjustments when needed & Photoshop anything that needs...

    6. Then I take the keepers and throw them into Photoshow Producer (slideshow software) with some music, post it on the web and send a link to everyone I took diving.....

     

     

    Hope this helps,

    Joel

  3. Thanks for the info, I am definately interested in the lightroom reference. I really don't know the best way to use the software yet, but can tell that it should greatly streamline my post processing and filing.

     

    John

  4. Lightroom and CS3 together seem to form a great workflow system. I just started using both so can't comment too much, but having moved from a fragmented Breezebrowser-Capture One-Photoshop workflow to something more consistent seems good.

     

    Lightroom is a lot like Capture One - it's adopted all the things I like about C1 and seems a bit faster at rendering the thumbnails.

     

    Cheers

    James

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.