Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Flatworm id

Started by Pedda ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Flatworm id

7 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I found this flatworm during a nightdive that I can't find in our id-books. So please can someone help me with the id of this flatworm.

     

    Thanks

     

    Peter

    post-2796-1179686709_thumb.jpg

  2. Peter, was there any sign of rhinophores or gills? The animal is so dark I can't tell if it's a flatworm or a nudibranch like Dendrodoris nigra.

  3. Peter, was there any sign of rhinophores or gills? The animal is so dark I can't tell if it's a flatworm or a nudibranch like Dendrodoris nigra.

     

    It has no rhinophores or gills. To me it looks like a pseudobiceros stellatus but without the white dots.

    Edited by Pedda
  4. I'm not comfortable even guessing on this one. I can't tell if there are any features like pseudotentacles or if the white spots are color or sand. Newman & Cannon have 3 black or mostly black species and there are probably more than that so I wouldn't go beyond flatworm unidentified.

     

    Sorry.... :)

    Edited by Leslie
  5. Hi,

     

    I found this flatworm during a nightdive that I can't find in our id-books. So please can someone help me with the id of this flatworm.

     

    Thanks

     

    Peter

    Peter,

     

    Where was the photograph taken?

     

    AnneDiver

  6. Peter,

     

    Where was the photograph taken?

     

    AnneDiver

     

    The photo was taken at a dive site called Eshta here in Hurghada, Egypt.

     

    Regards

     

    Peter

  7. The photo was taken at a dive site called Eshta here in Hurghada, Egypt.

     

    Regards

     

    Peter

     

     

    Hi Peter,

     

    My guess is:

    Pseudoceros bolool

     

    Check out these images to see if they are the same as your photograph. As Leslie said, it is very difficult to tell from a photograph of an all black animal.

     

     

    Pseudoceros cf. bolool

    Marine Flatworms of the World

    http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bu6/flat0059.html

     

    Pseudoceros bolool

    http://edge-of-reef.com/platelminti/PLAPseudocerossp8en.htm

     

    Pseudoceros bolool Newman and Cannon 1994

    http://stri.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?search...udoceros+bolool

     

     

    Cheers, AnneDiver

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.