Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Do Nudis taste like chicken?

Started by AllisonFinch ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Do Nudis taste like chicken?

19 posts
  1. :)

    While in PNG, I saw a drama taking place. I realized I was a lousy naturalist prospect, because I interfered. I saw a lovely Nudi crawling across a coral. While I watched, a polyp grabbed the nudi's tail and started swallowing. I thought I could just watch.....but I didn't. I deprived the polyp of a good meal and safely deposited the nudi (after a tug of war with the ployp) elsewhere. I am sorry, but I would do it again, I fear. I did, however, get some pics.

     

     

     

    It is interesting that as the nudi thrashed around, surrounding polyps sucked in instead of competing for the meal. HMMMMM....polyp cooperation?

    post-3084-1179775692_thumb.jpg

    post-3084-1179775717_thumb.jpg

  2. First of all

     

    I though you ment nudists :)

     

    Secondly..Your forgiven...this time.. :)

     

    Thirdly..Lovely piccies...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. Allison,

    You just let a pay day slip through your fingers. Remember - Sex, Hunting, Killing, Eating and Birthing are all behaviors that sell imagery. Portraits (unless its a new species) don't really do much except fill the screen.

     

    Better luck next time.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    P.S I don't really agree with interrupting the course of nature, its a personal viewpoint thing. There's a reason for everything, such as a reason that nudi was about to get mashed!

    Edited by CamDiver
  4. I agree with Mark - one should really let nature take its course. Though I guess if one accepts that attitude one could argue that we humans are actually part of nature, and what we are doing to the planet is 'natural' - oops, long discussion there I fear.

     

    I thought the topic was actually going to be about how to cook up and eat nudibranchs now we are getting rather short of many varieties of delicious endangered species...

  5. no more Bahamas shark feeding trips fellas...

     

    :)

  6. Allison,

    You just let a pay day slip through your fingers. Remember - Sex, Hunting, Killing, Eating and Birthing are all behaviors that sell imagery. Portraits (unless its a new species) don't really do much except fill the screen.

     

    Better luck next time.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    P.S I don't really agree with interrupting the course of nature, its a personal viewpoint thing. There's a reason for everything, such as a reason that nudi was about to get mashed!

     

     

    Gee, I think I'm missing your point. Do you really think these are just a portrait?

  7. Save the nudi, save the world

  8. I agree with Mark - one should really let nature take its course. Though I guess if one accepts that attitude one could argue that we humans are actually part of nature, and what we are doing to the planet is 'natural' - oops, long discussion there I fear.
    NickJ - What we are doing to the planet would be natural if we used natural means to exploit our resources. Once we start putting all the technology to use it kinda knocks things out of whack prohibiting mother nature the opportunity to at least try and keep pace with rejuvenation and replenishment of stocks etc. Indeed a potential bag of worms.

     

    AllisonFinch - Gee, I think I'm missing your point. Do you really think these are just a portrait?
    Thats the way I see it, but what do I know? Let me guess. You took the Flabellina exoptata (?) away from a potentially life threatening situation, which would have also made a good true life sequence. You deposited your nudi onto a nicely positioned rock / coral where you could get some nice portraiture shots etc? Something like that.

     

    Half the job with underwater video is to be able to try and catch the story as it naturally unfolds. If that means waiting for half an hour until the subject is in the right position, naturally and under its own steam, then so be it. But then again, thats just me.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
  9. I'm being deliberately contentious of course, but there are a number of parallels in the natural world where animals use tools and 'technology' to harvest food (think otters, oysters and stones; birds, twigs and ants; monkeys, other monkeys and tapir thigh bones - oops or was that "2001 a Space Odyssey" :) ?). It is only a leap of faith (and a few hundred thousand years of evolution for Homo Sapiens - not millions) to move from stones to whale factories, twigs to long lines etc. I know it's a long shot but unless you believe in divine intervention or alien seeding we created our technology from humble natural beginnings.

     

    As far as the Nudi portrait is concerned this is a tough choice for some, not for others. We didn't see the Blue Planet or Planet Earth teams trying to protect those adorable sea lions from those nasty big sharksies ... I tend to side with Mark on this, but understand the dilemma! :)

     

    Nice shots BTW

  10. :)

    While in PNG, I saw a drama taking place. I realized I was a lousy naturalist prospect, because I interfered. I saw a lovely Nudi crawling across a coral. While I watched, a polyp grabbed the nudi's tail and started swallowing. I thought I could just watch.....but I didn't. I deprived the polyp of a good meal and safely deposited the nudi (after a tug of war with the ployp) elsewhere. I am sorry, but I would do it again, I fear. I did, however, get some pics.

    It is interesting that as the nudi thrashed around, surrounding polyps sucked in instead of competing for the meal. HMMMMM....polyp cooperation?

     

    Neat pics. I wish you'd just taken pics up to the coup de grace, but only because it would be cool to see :). Next dive, save a bit of sandwich and feed a polyp, you'll balance it out :). Interesting on the polyp behavior. My observation from feeding my reef tank is just the opposite; one gets a morsel and the rest stand tall and fully extended. Never seen them fight over something though (never tried feeding them live nudibranchs either...hmmm)

  11. NickJ - What we are doing to the planet would be natural if we used natural means to exploit our resources. Once we start putting all the technology to use it kinda knocks things out of whack prohibiting mother nature the opportunity to at least try and keep pace with rejuvenation and replenishment of stocks etc. Indeed a potential bag of worms.

     

    Thats the way I see it, but what do I know? Let me guess. You took the Flabellina exoptata (?) away from a potentially life threatening situation, which would have also made a good true life sequence. You deposited your nudi onto a nicely positioned rock / coral where you could get some nice portraiture shots etc? Something like that.

     

    Half the job with underwater video is to be able to try and catch the story as it naturally unfolds. If that means waiting for half an hour until the subject is in the right position, naturally and under its own steam, then so be it. But then again, thats just me.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

     

    No, I think you have missed the point. First of all, lighten up! Secondly, do you see any "I'm saved" portraits? I posted these images because I thought it was interesting to see a polyp making such an attack. I apologized for my eventual interference, but it wasn't as earth shattering as you are making it seem. I suppose if your buddy were being eaten by a shark, you would just continue shooting video since it is the "natural" thing to do.

     

    Again, just be interested (or not) in a moment frozen in time.

  12. No, I think you have missed the point. First of all, lighten up! Secondly, do you see any "I'm saved" portraits? I posted these images because I thought it was interesting to see a polyp making such an attack. I apologized for my eventual interference, but it wasn't as earth shattering as you are making it seem. I suppose if your buddy were being eaten by a shark, you would just continue shooting video since it is the "natural" thing to do.

     

    Again, just be interested (or not) in a moment frozen in time.

     

    Too bad, I'd be interested in the "I'm saved" portraits - watch it kiss the rock you put it on, hug its nudi family, point up at God (in this case, you).

  13. Allison don't take offense. I don't think anyone is being uptight - this is a really interesting topic that your pictures and comments sparked. Maybe not your intention, but that's the fun thing about posting on public forums - you never know quite how your input will stimulate your virtual colleagues to comment ....

  14. Allison don't take offense. I don't think anyone is being uptight - this is a really interesting topic that your pictures and comments sparked. Maybe not your intention, but that's the fun thing about posting on public forums - you never know quite how your input will stimulate your virtual colleagues to comment ....

    Hahaha, thanks NickJ, gotta love the public forum. After all it is a public place where not everyone shares the same sentiment. Time for me to go get some lightening up lessons.

     

    AllisonFinch - as far as I know there is yet to exist a good shark attack filmed in HDV. So to answer your question yes I would film it. Absofrigginlutely, show me a dedicated video operator who wouldn't. The cash would help pay the hospital bills of my unfortunate buddy and go toward new gear. I don't think a flimsy dive knife is gonna do anything against a determined shark hell bent on taking a lump out of someone so you may as well film it. I actually almost had that opportunity in Yap on one occasion when a guy doing the bottle thing had his mask ripped off by a Silvertip, it was over so darn quick the middle finger response to the "Do Over" signal made me flood my mask laughing.......guess that counts you out as a potential future dive buddy then!! :lol:

     

    On another note Allison, it was not my intention to rattle your cage. If I did so please accept my apologies. I'm going to go back into my dark corner and be quiet. BUT, please understand, as NickJ said, you post in a public forum, expect to get public response which will not always be to your liking. Learn to take that in your stride!

     

    Cerianthus - I think the human intervention regarding the Crown of Thorns was initiated with human harvesting of Tritons Horns therefore creating an un-natural population explosion of the Crowns. The culling of the Seastars was started once mankind realised "Oh crap, what have we done", IMHO an all too often realization made by our 'superior' species.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
  15. Re sharks - shawnh and I had a gentleman's agreement that if either one of us were attacked this past January ( http://www.fluent-communications.com/Fluent/Movies%204.html ) that we would continue pressing [record] and any royalties/fees from the subsequent video would got to rehabilitation costs, or our widows if that was the unfortunate outcome. In a controlled situation like ours in the Bahamas the risk of any attack is very small, but it was actually a topic we discussed. In fact either one of us would have been horrified if in the heat of the situation the video actually stopped rolling!

  16. Re sharks - shawnh and I had a gentleman's agreement that if either one of us were attacked this past January ( http://www.fluent-communications.com/Fluent/Movies%204.html ) that we would continue pressing [record] and any royalties/fees from the subsequent video would got to rehabilitation costs, or our widows if that was the unfortunate outcome. In a controlled situation like ours in the Bahamas the risk of any attack is very small, but it was actually a topic we discussed. In fact either one of us would have been horrified if in the heat of the situation the video actually stopped rolling!
    NickJ - I'd be right there with you mate. My missus (surprising someone likes me eh) knows all too well that she plays second fiddle to the Ocean. She gave up on me a long time ago and just goes along with my passion, ohh er, that came out a bit misleading..... :lol:

     

    I've had that same agreement with most of the people I dive with in shark scenario shoots, baited or not. Been in with Tigers as they ate a Manta in Yap, a Whale in Palau and Whites in South Africa. If I'm the one getting chomped the only thing I would personally care about is whether or not someone is getting it on film. The big sharks normally spit people out anyway, except Tigers though........different thread completely.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  17. We have nudi BBQ's all the time :lol:

  18. Yeah, I heard you Ozzies have still to realize that covering up will stop you from getting skin cancer.......Dohhhhh, Nudibranchs right, gotcha. I was having visions of you in your birthday suit roasting your sausage on the charcoal.......eek!!

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.