Hi all
I have just stumbled into a situation of probably my own creation, but I would love some input and advice on what to do about it now, if anything.
About a year ago, I showed a friend of mine some of my photos. He liked them and asked if he might use a few of them in some brochures and flyers for his business. I said yes because he's a good friend and his business promotes a nearby island where I used to live and work and may do so again. So, his general promotion of the place is in my best interest.
A few months later, he told me he had shown the photos to one of the business owners on the island and that they'd be interested in using some in their brochure. I told them that of course they could, but they'd have to pay me for the usage as it was not in our best interest, only theirs. They declined and used someone else's free shots. C'est la vie. (I relate this to show you all that I am not into habitually giving away my work.)
Six months ago, a local freelance journalist wrote an article on the island for one of our local magazines. He happened to come to my promotional friend for info. While there, he saw some of my photos and asked my friend if he could use them with the article. My friend asked me if it was OK and I agreed to let the writer use them for free as it was just a local mag and again was publicising the whole island. The article was published in the magazine using 3 of my shots (1x 1/4 page, 1x 1/2 page and 1x full page - a little bigger than I expected) in a 4 page article, not center page spread, nor cover shot. Sadly, the credit they gave me (my email address) was mispelled... oh well.
Now here is the issue: a couple of months ago, my friend came to me and told me that the writer was recycling the article in a national airline's inflight magazine, would I mind him using the shots again as they were just recycling the article wholesale? No excuse, but I have a lot going on right now and I just said yes after a very brief hesitation where I wondered if I was doing the right thing. Anyway, I said yes.
So imagine my surprise when I finally saw the magazine a couple of weeks ago - one of my photos was on the cover! And the article was center page spread! Wow! After the initial excitement died down, I started to think "Hang on, they just got themselves a free cover shot which they didn't ask me about." They had still used 3 shots, but they were 3 different shots to the original article (my friend may have mentioned using other shots when I said "Yes" above, I don't remember). Also, I realized they had not only cropped the shot on the cover, but they'd photoshopped the background right out, making it look kinda odd. On further exploration I find they have also used the shots broadly over the inflight mag's website. The magazine and website are changed each month.
Now, I realize that from now on I have to make double sure of what's going on and insist on the proper paperwork before it all happens, but it seems to me a bit like they've taken the mickey with my generosity here. I have never had any communication directly with the magazine about their publishing my photos nor have I signed or been asked to sign any contracts pertaining to their use. I did meet the writer once briefly at a social event late one evening and he complimented me on the photos. I honestly don't remember if we discussed using them in the second article or not, but I'm sure I would have remembered if I was told they were going to go on the cover and on the website. Other than this, the writer and I have never had any communication - he has always had my friend pass on his requests.
The other little nugget I have just discovered: the two magazines are linked by the media companies that publish them - one is a regional division of the other.
So I guess I'm asking your advice on what I should do about it? I'd love to get paid for the work, of course, but this isn't really about the money - it's about encouraging publishing companies to do what is right and fair and having them ask proper permissions before publishing and manipulating your images. It might be worth noting that I don't live in the US, UK, Europe, Australia or Singapore so the idea of running to court might not be so applicable here.
Please let me know what you think....
Jams.