Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Need some urgent advice

Started by diggy ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Need some urgent advice

3 posts
  1. Hi guys am travelling to singapore tomorrow and wish to know which would be the best housing for the canon G 7 which i have just purchased. One just does not get any of this in India as yet except for the cameras!! Am very well versed with photography on land but it would be a first for me underwater. Given that the Canon housing with the Inon D 2000 strobe(with a special optic cable) allows eTTL mode so does IKelite. The only difference, and i guess this would be a major one, would be that Ikelite allows the use of the macro and wide angle lenses. Would the macro need a special strobe placement ? Primarily i assume wide angle pictures would not require a strobe, but they would require a correction filter underwater ????? The price difference is also huge if one opts for the Ikelite as then i would also get the wide angle and macro lens with the ports.

     

    Some help and advice here would REALLY help.

     

    BTW am very comfortable diving and have completed my advanced open water as also peak performance Buoyancy so now am taking that first obsessive step to underwater photography :lol:^_^

  2. I bought the Ikelite housing specifically for the TTL ability and it has been a very nice addition. I seem to shoot about half in Manual mode where I take the strobe (DS51) off of TTL and the other half in full TTL mode. The Ikelite is a more expensive and larger housing to be sure but the TTL ability works very well. If I was faced with the purchase decision again I would gladly buy the Ikelite again.

     

    I dont have the Macro port and so cannot comment on how it works.

     

    Crown of Thorns from today taken with G7 in Ikelite with TTL!

    2728973270100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    Cowrie climbing onto soft coral taken with G7 in Manual Mode, strobe set to -2.25

    2978666520100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    Good luck with your new camera and let us know what you end up with!

  3. Thanks mate. My heart and mind was on Ikelte...so i guess i am going to opt for this. Maybe purchase the wide angle lens later. Your pictures are really amazing. Great job. Macro seems to work pretty well on this camera without aditional lenses. Anyway thanks again :lol:

     

    Wil keep you posted once i get the gear and take some pics.

     

    Cheers Diggy

     

     

     

    I bought the Ikelite housing specifically for the TTL ability and it has been a very nice addition. I seem to shoot about half in Manual mode where I take the strobe (DS51) off of TTL and the other half in full TTL mode. The Ikelite is a more expensive and larger housing to be sure but the TTL ability works very well. If I was faced with the purchase decision again I would gladly buy the Ikelite again.

     

    I dont have the Macro port and so cannot comment on how it works.

     

    Crown of Thorns from today taken with G7 in Ikelite with TTL!

    2728973270100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    Cowrie climbing onto soft coral taken with G7 in Manual Mode, strobe set to -2.25

    2978666520100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    Good luck with your new camera and let us know what you end up with!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.