Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Wide Angle Ambient Light Shooting Techniques?

Started by paquito ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide Angle Ambient Light Shooting Techniques?

8 posts
  1. Hello,

    I did a search here for Tips or Techniques on taking pictures using ambient light for wide angle photogrpahy but was unsuccessful in finding a result? I could just be too dumb to find it too? Could someone tell me if they know if this subject has been covered and please provide a link to the appropriate area? I would like to know more about what conditions, camera settings (DSLR with wide dome) will produce better results? I'm familiar with how the Magic Filters can be used, but I would like to know more about camera settings and challenges. For example, I've seen some you all's simply wonderful black and white wreck shots which look to be simply too far off for any strobe to help. In addition, there are some amazing shallow dives of whale sharks, and blue water compositions which a stunning and cool. Besides hoping for the best visibility and ambient light, can anyone share what settings they try to opt for and any other techiniques that might help? I don't mind putting in the work :lol:

  2. Hello,

    I did a search here for Tips or Techniques on taking pictures using ambient light for wide angle photogrpahy but was unsuccessful in finding a result? I could just be too dumb to find it too? Could someone tell me if they know if this subject has been covered and please provide a link to the appropriate area? I would like to know more about what conditions, camera settings (DSLR with wide dome) will produce better results? I'm familiar with how the Magic Filters can be used, but I would like to know more about camera settings and challenges. For example, I've seen some you all's simply wonderful black and white wreck shots which look to be simply too far off for any strobe to help. In addition, there are some amazing shallow dives of whale sharks, and blue water compositions which a stunning and cool. Besides hoping for the best visibility and ambient light, can anyone share what settings they try to opt for and any other techiniques that might help? I don't mind putting in the work :lol:

     

    I've not come across any website with 'how to' articles, but UWP often has some w/a articles, maybe give that a try www.uwpmag.com. Other than that, shoot to about -1ev, and review, shoot again! Filters are great, and shoot raw then you can tweak the white balance.

     

    To adjust to black and white, don't just hit the 'convert to greyscale' button, use channel mixer and tick the monochrome box.. then adjust your colour channels accordingly.

     

    Or you could take a workshop.. several people on wetpixel run them, with magi filters being an integral part these days

     

    Simon

    Edited by Scuba_SI
  3. You can see some tips in the Tips & Techniques section at the magic filters site, most of them are correct also when not using the filters (that is recommended btw)

  4. Sweet! Thank you.

    Cheers!

  5. Shooting wide angle ambient is always a challenge here in the Great Lakes. It's important to get shots like these when possible to really show the wreck. But lack of light and visibility issues make it difficult at best. This shot of the Munson in Lake Ontario is an example of the issues faced. This was taken at 110 feet, ISO 1600, 1/20th @ F3.5.

    And the visibility on this one I'd consider pretty good, just extremely dark. I'll consider taking a tripod next time I shoot this wreck.

     

    To cut through visibility issues you want to get as close and wide as possible. Use as much DOF as possible while maintaining a working shutter speed. For wrecks, which aren't moving, you can use a slower shutter speed. For moving objects you'll have to sacrifice DOF for shutter speed.

  6. Shoot Raw Mode. i like to process images using C1 Pro. You can get the consumer version C1 pro le. This program is far better at processing raw files than anything else i've seen.

  7. Also turn off auto function and trim the exposre down - use more strobe light at depth rather than ambient light.

  8. Thanks for the advice everyone. Donga, thanks but sorry, the use of the strobe defeats what I'm trying to learn here and in some scenes strobes would not help.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.