Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Extreme Decorator Crab

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Extreme Decorator Crab

10 posts
  1. Just wanted to share this with you all. Check out this image:

     

    Decorator.jpg

     

    Now I had heard that decorator crabs could be masters at blending in but this takes that to the extreme. OK, so see that pile of 'debris' in the center of the image? That's the guy right there! He's walking from left to right across the shot, camera is locked down, motionless.

     

    The rear right leg is marked with the two cigarette butts in the lower left of the pile. The left rear leg has the stringy remnants of a chewed Betel Nut as does the front left leg, both 'tufts can be seen at the top of the pile. Lastly the front right leg can be identified with the swirl of black plastic!!

     

    The little guy, no bigger than a childs clenched fist, is that big for a decorator?, was found in a pile of trash on a dive in the Malakal area of Palau in about 6 feet of water. At first I saw nothing but as I was looking to set up and film a Saddled Toby this 'pile' kinda moved :lol:

     

    Stunning camouflage! I've revisited the area a few times but as yet have not found it again. Given the terrain though it's like the proverbial needle in a haystack.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  2. That is sooooo coool! Although I have to admit I can't really see the little guy yet. Is he facing the camera - I am not sure whether I am seeing his eyes in the front or whether I am imagining things.

     

    MJ

  3. That is just great... What a guy..

     

    Maybe it should be called a Vagabond or Trash crab.. :lol:

     

    Good one Mark

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  4. hehe, thought that would get ya.

     

    OK, so here's another take. This time I've created one of those white outlines to maybe clarify the shape. I've also got a direction of travel arrow and also an exploded segment to show where his 'face' is. If you look closely in the cut out you will see one of the small arms used to convey food to the mouth. For the very keen eyed you can also see one of the eye pupils as a black dot with a reflective glow in it from my lights, very minute.

     

    Crazy stuff ............

     

    Deco2.jpg

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    P.S there are also cigarette ends on his rear left leg too!

  5. Hi all,

    Well I've been thinking about this and I guess the only real way to understand just how screwy this crab looks is by actually seeing it so here's a short 15 second clip of the little guy walking across sand. You can also see his face, the betel nut, plastic and cigarette elements of his 'suit'.

     

    The file is in mp4 format and sized around 1.8Mb so even Mike in Yap (after an hour of downloading) should be able to see this guy.

     

    Enjoy,

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
  6. cigs and betel nut? hahahah

     

    only in micronesia...

  7. Yeah,

    I was kinda expecting to see a small bag made of palm leaves slung under one of its legs!

     

    Good stuff,

    Mark.

  8. This is a really cool capture Mark. I'm sending the link to our crustacea department - I'm sure they'll especially enjoy it. Trash crab is as good as name as any!

     

    Oh - you asked about size. Big as a child's clenched fist would be large for some species but not others. Some majids are decorators as juveniles but as they get larger they stop decorating.

  9. Hey Leslie,

    Thats cool. I'm just about to leave for a macro filming bonanza around Lembeh and Bali so I'll be looking out for something to either equal or beat my little "Trash Crab".

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  10. Worms are always wonderful macro subjects......... :lol:

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.