Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Endless Scooter - the movie

Started by fdog ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Endless Scooter - the movie

12 posts
  1. movieposter600.jpg

     

    Well, here's my first attempt at moving pictures. I didn't even own a video camera before this!

     

    The Endless Scooter

     

    It's 20 minutes long, subject is traveling and scootering.

     

    As always, constructive critisism is welcomed with open arms! I can't believe how much work it was.

     

    All the best, James

  2. That link goes nowhere for me? Empty page, doesn't load. Using Firefox.

     

    Mark.

  3. Firefox would probabally be why......

     

    Right click and "save target as". It's about 73 MB if you have the patience.

     

    All the best, James

  4. James

    That was a entertaining clip there.

    Well done. :lol:

     

    I liked how you shot it.

    Recut it tighter and enter it into a competition. ^_^

     

    Who makes those scooters?

  5. i like the poster!

     

    not going to try a 73mb clip though with my connection.. hahah

  6. James

    That was a entertaining clip there.

    Well done. :lol:

     

    I liked how you shot it.

    Recut it tighter and enter it into a competition. ^_^

     

    Who makes those scooters?

    Thanks Wags! Praise from you means a lot.

     

    The scooters are made by Dive-Xtras. If you're ever in the area (or vice versa, eh?) give us a holler and we'll take you for a spin. Beware...they are like crack, once you've tried it you're a gonner.

     

    What competitions? I had never considered such a thing, I guess I will have to sniff around.

     

    All the best, James

  7. Well it was a nice little story/adventure and not just normal underwater stuff to music.

    Yeh it was not the best quality and it was wobbly but if you can cut it down to 5mins, then I think many folks would watch it.

     

    I think we have enough toys as it is.....and Kelly's been hinting she wants another ring :lol:

  8. That was entertaining James and nice to give a video a very strong and memorable theme like you have. Brilliant poster too.

     

    So what's the deal with Sipadan now? Can you only dive the island itself on certain days, even if you want to and are prepared to pay the extra to go there from the hotels?

     

    Those sunken houses are cool but I wonder why there wasn't more marine life around them. Were they put there for divers? Would normally expect to see big schools of fish around things like that.

     

    That's a nifty idea having the camera in the scooter itself. I noticed a bit of vignetting at the top. I wonder if you could tweak the position of the camera inside it's housing to lose that. Also I noticed the colour balance shifting from greenish to bluish occasionally by itself. You had a red filter over the camera?

     

    You'd have to swap out the music for royalty free music if you wanted to put that into competitions.

  9. Hiya Nick

     

    I was in Sipadan (Kapalai) a couple of weeks ago. Kapalai basically have a permit to allow everyone staying there to do 2 dives a day on Sipadan. (actually it's a lot lot less than that, but in practise that's what you get).

     

    The diving at times was simply stunning. On one dive on South Point I think we saw something like 40 turtles, 20 sharks (white tip, black tip, grey reef), bumphead parrotfish and lots lots more. I was literally like a kid in a sweet shop who didn't know where to turn next!

     

    We went onto the Philippines after that which was great, but after being in Sipadan it was a bit of an anti-climax!

     

    I've not watched the vid yet fdog - still downloading it now :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  10. Sounds like limiting the diving there might have actually worked a bit then Simon. It was good in 2000 but I don't remember THAT many turtles and sharks.

  11. Not every dive was that good Nick - but that one in particular will stick in my brain for a very long time! I remember looking out into the blue and counting 12 turtles in front of me - turned round and there were 4 or 5 more on the reef. Amazing.

     

    I don't think there was one dive on Sipadan where we didn't see a least a couple of turtles and sharks, but no Hammerheads even though we did the early dive 6 times to try to see them. The group 2 mins behind us saw a couple one day, but we must of just missed them.

     

    Still it was an amazing trip - especially when combined with the macro stuff at Kapalai and Mabul. The highlight of that was probably when I got attacked by a Blue Ring! - got some VERY shaky footage of that :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

  12. Hi James.

     

    It is a lot of work, huh!? You're off to a great start! Your color is good, your narration is fun and holds my attention. I agree that it needs to be shorter...especially the "getting there" part. (It's a long trip, I know, but this is where you'll lose your audience.)

     

    Get us in the water quicker, and use your best shots and the ones you need to tell the story. If you can do this in under 5 minutes it'll be a fantastic story video! And, per my usual, I'll encourage you to use legal music. (Afterall, you'd probably not be too thrilled to find out that some musicians decided to use your images in their music video without asking you first?)

     

    You've got an excellent story there--now whittle it down to under five minutes and enter it in the San Diego underSea Film Exhibition!

     

    Mary Lynn

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.