Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Macro Critters from Palau

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Critters from Palau

10 posts
  1. Hey guys,

    This is also posted over at the Critter ID Forum but nice to also share it here.

     

    Here's a short 15 second clip of a decorator crab I recently stumbled across during a night dive in Palau. This guy takes the biscuit in the camo department as you can see. Plastic, chewed Betel Nut and also cigarette ends are all apparent in his 'coat of many colors.

     

    Its gonna be hard to beat this guy even with 6 weeks in Lembeh!! Yo Steve, I think I just found one of the stars for the critter project I'm planning for the festival!!

     

    The file is in mp4 format and sized at 1.8Mb, Mike, I'll get your feedback once you've downloaded it, I've got 6 weeks off so that should be time enough eh??

     

    Enjoy,

    Mark.

  2. Very cool critter. I am curious to identification.

     

    If you are looking for feedback (and I am no pro), the lighting is a little strange. Maybe that is the effect you are looking for, but having the shadow in front of the critter, while it is moving towards the camera makes it look like it is moving backwards. Actually as I watch it again it looks like the clip is reverse motion. Hey, that gives me an idea :lol:

     

    Ryan

  3. Haha those decorator crabs crack me up, some of the crap they carry around. The sponge crabs we see in Burma or Bunaken are even funnier carrying those enormous sponges, as if they can't be seen behind them.

     

    Looks like you were only using one light there Mark? So did the ND gels come in useful?

  4. scubanerd - This was an out take clip. I won't be showing the best footage of this guy until it is released in a short film I'm working on.

     

    Nick - Yeah, one light head. Seems to work well. I am looking for the best way to attach the gels at the moment so to date I haven't actually used them yet! I will be taking everything to Lembeh, a work in progress.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  5. Nice one. :lol:

  6. I am looking for the best way to attach the gels at the moment

    Like I told you, tights! Er... have they got lingerie shops in Palau?

  7. Hey Mark,

    Actually, the first thing I noticed was the dark lighting. Did you use one light on purpose? It actually creates an eerie effect. I did that once with a gold frogfish and loved the effect I had gotten. I had to see it a 2nd time, the cig filters almost blend in. One strange decorator crab. I'm looking forward to going back to Lembeh. Right now, I'm gearing up for the Bali & Komodo trip next month.

    Remember Mark, and everyone else, you are allowed to submit more than one film to the San Diego Festival judges. Looking forward to seeing your Mark. Keep me posted.

    Steve B)

  8. Hi Guys,

    For lighting, I think it was touched on before in a different thread, for lighting I don't really like to full on make a night dive critter encounter look like a daylight encounter. Playing with lighting allows you to create shadows, eerie feelings and suspense. All things that cannot be achieved by having a scene lit to buggery whilst on a night dive. A lot of people prefer to do it that way but to create a different 'look' one has to employ different lighting techniques IMHO. I use the edge of these Squid 250's for night filming but it depends on what effect I'm trying to achieve. Yeah, Steve I opted for one light head for this guy, the more shadow the better. He's an odd looking little guy with a real strange air. I did spend about 15 minutes with him so do also have stuff lit with two light heads but its just plain looking.

     

    Nick - Not having bought any uhh, Lingerie in Palau I, uhh, wouldn't know where to look..... :lol: I'll get them sorted and give feedback soon, cheers.

     

    This little guy about 1' in length didn't mind the lights too much as they attracted food in the way of small shrimps etc that started swarming the lights.

     

    Almost ready for the off, will see if I can give you updates from the field in Lembeh.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    P.S Steve, my entries will be for the most part as a result of this trip so lots of cutting when I get back. I'll be in Candidasa as of 29th June until 13th July. Let me know where I'll be able to ring you if you're gonna be in Bali during that time. Best to reply as of now to my yapman65@hotmail.com 'on the road' email address.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

    Edited by CamDiver
  9. have they got lingerie shops in Palau?

     

     

    Thankfully no... :lol:

  10. Thats strange...

     

    Then how did those latex, inverted-dildo pants get into my suitcase when I was there... :)

     

    Must have been jet lagged...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.