Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

ID of this Nudi

Started by drsteve ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

ID of this Nudi

3 posts
  1. I found this guy free swiming at San Miguel. It is some sort of Nudi or flatworm. I am sorry about posting a BW image, but my exposure and DOF were pretty dreadful. It is only viewable in BW. It was almost translucent so not much info was lost by dropping the color.

     

    MysteryNudi.jpg

    Edited by drsteve
  2. It's Melibe leonina. They're frequently found swimming - I don't know if they're swept away by currents or deliberately off exploring. They feed by capturing small crustaceans, jellies, fish, worms, etc. with the oral hood which is at the top of the picture. More about them at :

    http://www.slugsite.us/bow/nudwk188.htm

    http://slugsite.us/bow/nudwk406.htm

    Edited by Leslie
  3. It's Melibe leonina. ...

     

    Wow, that was quick! Thanks, I spent some time with my books, but I don't have a good one for invertebrates.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.