Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Identification of Feather Stars in the Philippines

Started by meryl ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Identification of Feather Stars in the Philippines

8 posts
  1. Hi,

    I would just like to know how you identify the different feather stars, especially those found in the Philippines. For example, how can you tell the difference between an Oxycomanthus bennetti from a Comanthus sp.? Or a Himerometra robustipinna from an Oligometra serripinna?

     

    I'm in the process of writing my undergraduate thesis for school, and my topic is on the identification of feather stars in Subic Bay, Zambales (Philippines). I would really appreciate your help and it would greatly contribute to my thesis.

     

    I have some pictures of the specimens I have to identify, but some of them are blurred because the camera was nearly out of batteries. :) The pictures I have are not from underwater so the feather stars are just placed in separate containers. Should I post them anyway?

     

    Thanks for your replies. :)

    Edited by meryl
  2. To quote Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific:

    "The group on the whole is difficult to identify without close inspection of both the pinnules and cirri."

    Any time to reconsider your thesis?

    Sorry; only guides I've seen are for fossilized crinoids.

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Most of them cannot be reliably identified from photographs as taxonomy is based on skeletal features that can't be seen in an image. There are only a few that have visible characters. Identified pictures that you find on the web are not to be trusted unless the identification was done by a specialist or a regional naturalist with years of experience. Why don't you write to Charles Messing? He's the best - http://www.nova.edu/ocean/messing/

  4. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't think I have time to change my thesis topic since I've come this far, especially after I spent a lot for it. So, I'll be sticking with crinoids till the end, and I'll be hoping I'll do okay. >.<

     

    But anyway, thanks for your help. It was appreciated. :)

  5. Hello, it's me again.

     

    Maybe some of you have a dichotomous key for feather stars? Or maybe you know a website where I can find one. Just as long as its limited to indo pacific feather stars or if it's at least included. Thanks. :rolleyes:

  6. There probably is one but you need to be talking to specialists to find out. Did you get any response from Messing? There's another fellow I know who works on the group & is helpful to students - Greg Rouse at Scripps <grouse@ucsd.edu> He's

  7. Yeah, I already contacted him. He replied saying that he was a bit busy on a research trip, so I have to wait for his next email. Anyway, I'll try Rouse. Thanks. :rolleyes:

  8. Greg works on both feather stars and myzostomes, the highly modified polychaetes that live on them so he will probably be interested in talking to you. Sorry I could not be of more help. Good luck with your research --

    Lesllie

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.